cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
StuartH
Message 11 of 20

Re: Cannot set 2nd SmartTalk user - BT Smart Talk is no longer promoted & to be discontinued?

Go to solution

Hi Alex-a

John is back in the office this afternoon, I'll highlight this post to him so he can pick up with you again.

Cheers

Stuart

0 Ratings
JohnC2
Message 12 of 20

Re: Cannot set 2nd SmartTalk user - BT Smart Talk is no longer promoted & to be discontinued?

Go to solution

Hi @alex-a Thanks for taking my call earlier. I've checked and managed to get the order progressed now for you. It will complete within 24hrs and you should be able to set up the SmartTalk service again after this time. 

Post back and let us know how you get on.

Cheers

John

0 Ratings
alex-a
Beginner
Message 13 of 20

Go to solution

Hello,

Latest update.

1/ last BT Smart Talk user wiped out yesterday. Today's log in to "My BT" GUI shows no users at all (no active users and no blocked users).

2/ Attempt to add 1st BT Smart Talk user to an Android phone in question fails in the same manner as before:

2a/ BT Smart Talk app installed afresh.

2b/ new BT ID created just for the sake of doing everything from scratch.

2c/ at the step of adding LANDLINE phone the familiar error message saying "This MOBILE phone is already linked to another service" pops up.

2d/ End of the road.

2e/ BUT BUT - I haven't even got to inputting the MOBILE phone number, this comes _AFTER_ LANDLINE number input in this procedure http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/44031/~/how-do-i-register-additional-bt-smarttalk-use...

3/ when trying to use existing and different BT ID on Android phone in question to add 1st BT Smart Talk, at the step of adding LANDLINE phone the familiar error message saying "This MOBILE phone is already linked to another service" pops up. End of the road.

4/ when trying to add 1st BT Smart Talk user to my iphone6,  after installing BT Smart Talk app afresh using existing BT ID and, everything works. To reiterate - this iphone6 already had the BT Smart Talk user before, just like Android phone.

5/ I can only hope the wiping out the Android phone in queston helps at this point.

Or buying another phone.

Inference - to me, it looks very much like that BT Smart Talk app writes & keeps data on the Android device somewhere deep into the device internals since deleting ALL BT Smart Talk users in "My BT" GUI does not help: at the step of LANDLINE number input to create the 1st BT Smart Talk user, when BT Smart Talk number does not know yet the what MOBILE number I am going to input later, the LANDLINE number is checked against this deeply stored data & then the app errors out. I reiterate, this happens EVEN before I actually input the MOBILE phone number into freshly installed BT Smart Talk app. And even the wipe of ALL BT Smart Talk users in my BT account does not get rid of this check.

Question to mods - how do I actually DELETE all records of all previous BT Smart Talk users with their associated mobile numbers from BT servers, so I can get rid of this paranoid check of LANDLINE number against previously used MOBILE numbers? I reiterate that having 0 BT Smart Talk users (as it shows in my BT account) does not help.

OTOH, this pb does not exist on iphone6 (also previously used to run BT Smart Talk), this procedure http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/44031/~/how-do-i-register-additional-bt-smarttalk-use... works 1st time.

Rgds

Alex

0 Ratings
NeilO
Message 14 of 20

Go to solution

@alex-a I'm sorry to see you're still having problems getting the smart talk app working on the android phone.  I've passed on your message to the Smart Talk team and asked them to look at this again, they'll be in touch with you in the next few days with an update. I'll also keep an eye on this to ensure it moves in the right direction.

0 Ratings
NeilO
Message 15 of 20

Go to solution

@alex-a I can see the Smart Talk team called yesterday, can you post back to let me know if you're happy that this has been resolved?

0 Ratings
alex-a
Beginner
Message 16 of 20

Go to solution

Hello,

Yes, yesterday I had a chat with BT Smart Talk support person and what we ended up with was he said he needs IMEI for that Android phone to search the records and delete it from there. For some reason, I could not get IMEI from this Android phone without SIM card inserted. The BT Smart Talk support person could not do anything without it.

I will be buying a new smartphone instead (likely not Android, to avoid having the same pb again) and once I have it I will install BT Smart Talk app on that new smartphone.

I don't understand why IMEI was recorded in 1st place, and apparently my iphone6 IMEI is not being recorded so I can install/reinstall BT Smart Talk on my iphone6 at will, but that's now irrelevant.

Thanks
Alex

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 17 of 20

Go to solution

The IMEI record forms part of the authentication process.

0 Ratings
alex-a
Beginner
Message 18 of 20

Go to solution

Yeah, right.

So, if I understood correctly, BT decided to restrict Smart Talk with 20-century approach "You can have Smart Talk app only on 5 physical devices, period". Reminds me of old REN approach https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ringer_equivalence_number

Subscriber telephone lines are usually limited to support a load of 5 REN or less

This approach does not make sense at all to me, in 2017!

Hint - it makes much more sense to limit BT Smart Talk app to 5 simultaneous logins, rather than 5 physical devices.

Anyway, BT must have collected a truckload of IMEIs in the process.

Fine, but why there is no link back to the BT subscriber account? What, it I decide to execute my right under EU Right to Be Forgotten and Erasure legislation https://www.privacy-regulation.eu/en/17.htm?

How BT could possibly comply if they don't know my IMEI but I know BT has it?

Makes me wonder...

Cheers
Alex

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 19 of 20

Go to solution

As each activation requires BT to assign a virtual phone number (Service ID) I suspect that there are a limited number of these numbers available, so restricting the number of devices ensures that every user will get an allocation.

The virtual numbers are needed to allow the calls to be routed over the phone network.

They are substituted for the real mobile number before the call is delivered to the destination phone number so your mobile number, not the virtual number is shown.

This does go wrong occasionally, and people see the virtual number, which causes confusionSmiley Wink

0 Ratings
alex-a
Beginner
Message 20 of 20

Go to solution

Hello,

They are substituted for the real mobile number before the call is delivered 
to the destination phone number so your mobile number, not the virtual
number is shown.

AFAIK, the mobile number is called IMSI, not IMEI.

Or is IMSI also stored along with IMEI?

If yes, then well done BT, I guess You have stored more information on me than I previously thought.

And then I even less understand why the authorisation and limit is set at per-IMEI rather than per IMSI alone or per-BT ID login.

Every BT Smart Talk app instantiation requires a unique BT ID so the limit should be 1 simultaneous login with unique BT ID or 5 simultaneous logins per BT account.

20-century REN limit does not work well with 21-st century BT Smart Talk app.

Rgds
Alex

0 Ratings