cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 20

Capped download sync speed

Hi

My download speeds have been decreasing over the last 18 months. Used to get a stable 40ish Mbps. I have noticed recently however that the last few hub restarts over the course of a few week (we had some building work done which required the power to go off) that the download sync speed would be set at exactly 30.00 Mbps - like it is being capped! I have been on BT infinity for a number of years now and pay for the top speed available (76Mbps). Can anyone help? Why does this appear to be capped? How can I restore my speed (for what I am paying for). 

This isn’t about what the service estimates I ‘should’ get. As I mentioned I used to get a very stable 40Mbps+.

Thanks

0 Ratings
19 REPLIES 19
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 20

Re: Capped download sync speed

Which BT Home hub do you have?

0 Ratings
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 20

Hi. I have Home Hub 6

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 20

Can you please  post the information from the smart hub, using this link.

http://192.168.1.254/0000012803/gui/#/technicalLog/information

0 Ratings
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 20

Product name: BT Hub 6A

Serial number: +084319+NQ61823534

Firmware version: SG4B1000B316

Firmware updated: 23-Jul-2017

Board version: 1.0

Gui version: 1.64.0

DSL uptime: 0 Days, 0 Hours 43 Minutes 27 Seconds

Data rate: 6.07 Mbps / 30.00 Mbps

Maximum data rate: 6125 / 38694

Noise margin: 6.1 dB / 6.3 dB

Line attenuation: 25.4 dB

Signal attenuation:

VPI / VCI: 0/38

Modulation: G_993_2_ANNEX_B

Latency type: Fast Path

Data sent / received: 48 MB Uploaded / 231 MB Downloaded

Boot loader: 7.33.1.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 20

Your noise margin is 6.3dB, so there is no room for improvement at the moment. Your line may not support any faster than what you are getting.

Is there any noise on your phone calls? Dial 17070 and select option 2, there should be no noise between the announcements.

In order to find out what services and speed range you should be getting, please enter your phone number into this form.
Broadband availability checker

Please remember to edit out your phone number before you post the results.

0 Ratings
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 20

There doesn’t appear to be any noise on the line. The issue is that I have had much higher stable speeds before and also I have never seen the sync speed at exactly 30.00Mbps - especially after a restart, it has always been slightly different each time leading me to think I am being capped for some reason. Could restarting the ‘learning’ process help as if I were a new customer ? 

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 20

Why are you paying for Infinity 2, as you are never going to get that speed?

Your actual connection speed would reduce over time, due to crosstalk from other customers connected to the cabinet

Your max data rate is showing as about 38Mbs, but that will vary depending on line conditions, and you would not normally connect at that speed, as the connection coulld become unstable.

As long as you are within Range A on the broadband availability page, then nothing can be done.

Restarting or disconnecting the home hub is likely to make things worse.

0 Ratings
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 20

I didn’t mean restarting the hub, but more the 10 day line learning process that occurs with new customers. I paid for the higher amount as at the time I did have a speed higher than the lower affinity speed cap. 

Thanks for for your help anyway. I might have to try a different provider as this is becoming less and less worth the money as time goes on. 

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 20

enter your phone number andpost results  remember to delete number http://dslchecker.bt.com/adsl/adslchecker.welcome

unless you move to cable all ISP s the same connection from the cabinet to your home so you may get a better price but connection is the sameone currently supplied by openreach

are you using the test socket to see if that helps?

it's probably with the work you have had done and power to router going off/on that has affected your connection speed

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings