cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 11 of 20

Re: Capped download sync speed

There is no learning process as such. New customers start with the maximum speed their line will support. Over a period of time, about 10 days, this may be revised downward if there are too many errors or disconnections.

All fibre providers, apart from Virgin Media, use the same Openreach fibre cabinet, so you would get the same speed, as that is limited by your distance from the cabinet.

Also bear in mind, if the cabinet is on a waiting list, then you will lose your connection if you change providers.

You could save some money by changing to BT Infinity 1.

What did the broadband availability page show?

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 12 of 20

@rjattree Your line has been banded by DLM due to instability. If the cause of the instability has been fixed, DLM will eventually relent and restore speed although your noise margin would indicate that it won't be a huge increase.

0 Ratings
Aspiring Contributor
Message 13 of 20

7062D5D4-5E73-4ABC-B85F-23100769F561.jpeg

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 14 of 20

You are well within the range 27.4 to 39.5Mbs. You are wasting your money if you are paying for Infinity 2.

Those figures are going to be the same for all providers that use Openreach

0 Ratings
Aspiring Contributor
Message 15 of 20

This seems to indicate that FTTP is available. The speed checker didn’t offer this service in the results however. I can’t find any pricing information for this. 

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 16 of 20

Pricing information here Smiley Wink, its only for businesses.

FTTP on demand Prices of FTTPod

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 17 of 20

0 Ratings
Contributor
Message 18 of 20

@rjattree there are new prices from Feb 2018 for fttpod. It's still not cheap though https://goo.gl/aGuGJQ
0 Ratings
Aspiring Contributor
Message 19 of 20

Thanks for the information. Is this meant only for businesses rather than joe public?

the pricing is very confusing. So if I wanted up to 160Mbits with min of 12 month contract it looks like £92 connection fee and £253.68 annual rental. Is paid annually or is this saying it would be £20 something a month? 

I assume the ‘build’ cost is getting the fibre installed initially? If this is on application I guess this could be anything from a couple of hundred quid to several thousands! 

Are there are are any other costs.i am missing here? Is the initial survey/enquiry free?

thanks again for the info. 

0 Ratings
Contributor
Message 20 of 20

Hi @rjattree it isn’t just a business product anyone can order it, but the price list I posted is a wholesale list that your ISP (BT) will base their retail prices on. The big unknown is the build price that Openreach will charge BT’s retail arm.Openreach will charge a non refundable £245 plus VAT just to survey and quote for the installation, have a look at this article from ispreview https://goo.gl/A3TU7z

Do you really need Infinity 2 anyway? It might have been worthwhile having it a few years ago when Infinity 1 was capped below 40 but following the increase to 52Mb and recent uplift to 76Mb it looks like you are overpaying now given your historic and current speeds.

0 Ratings