Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
AM27
Beginner
Message 1 of 7

Car crash - will it cost a fortune?

Hi all,

In january this year i crashed my car and in the process of leaving the road i struck, and disintegrated a BT telegraph pole. Unfortunately this cut off supply to two properties nearby. After dealing with the car and myself we phoned BT and alerted them to the situation within a few hours. A week or two ago i recieved a letter explain that 1 pole and 2 lengths of wire were replaced and im due to cover the costs. This in itself if no issue as i pay for what i break. However the problem i find is that due to the fact i am only 18 if i claim the costs on insurance i will struggle to get a quote for potentially a year or two. I work full time and have a 50 mile round trip each day. Finally getting to the point - How much is this likely to cost? i phoned the number given on the letter but they said they couldnt tell me for another 3 months! not even an estimate. If within reason (sub £2000) im more than willing to foot the bill personally.

Thanks for reading and sorry for the boring story!

Any help or advice welcome.

AM27

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
jimmehr
Aspiring Expert
Message 2 of 7

Re: Car crash - will it cost a fortune?

Seems a bit weird for them not to be able to give an estimate. Seems a long time to be having to wait for an invoice for the work as you could up and leave from your address within that time, I would hound them for an estimate so you could get at least that money ready for when the actuall invoice arrives instead of having to scrabble around last minute for it.

0 Ratings
brazenscroll
Contributor
Message 3 of 7

To be honest, I think you will be lucky to get it for less than £2000. If BT have your insurance details already they will just deal with it through that, as they are the "third party" and your insurers will liaise directly. This is if you have provided all the details. If not you can ask for a quote for the repairs, but do not be surprised if it is over £2000 - my take would be:-

Disconnect wiring from damaged pole - 1 crew (allow 1 day min charge)

Remove and replace damaged pole - 1 crew (allow 1 day min charge)

Install and test new wiring - 1 crew (allow 1 day min charge)

Assuming £350/manday and 2 men per crew this gives you £2,100 plus the cost of the pole itself, wiring and the dreaded VAT. This is for BT Openreach to do the work, so you may also have to add the markup they put on works (maybe 40%) so you may be looking at over £3,000.

You sure you do not want to go through your insurance?

0 Ratings
AM27
Beginner
Message 4 of 7

jimmehr - I agree and when pushed they said previous claims to damage to equipment (not specifically telegraph poles) have ranged from £500-£5000. As you can imagine that doesnt really narrow it down at all. And i find it so hard to believe that BT would not know roughly how much a pole + 2 lengths of wire and all included labour would cost... after all it IS their field of work. I saw no activity at the site for about 2 weeks and then they had a new pole up and running by the time i returned from work one day so i cant imagine astronomical labour costs. the only additional cost ontop of the mentioned might be traffic lights as i brought down a cable across the road.

Thanks for the feedback, more welcome!

AM27

0 Ratings
AM27
Beginner
Message 5 of 7

Brazenscroll - The wiring was very much stripped from the pole by myself, and the pole was entirely removed by myself too (this wasnt pleasant, take care on icy roads!). The cables had snapped at the junction with the pole and so a direct replacement shouldnt have been much hassle. However as you stated the outsourcing of work does worry me. As of yet im still in contact with both partys (BT and insurers) independantly although BT requested my insurance details which i will ofcourse supply.

Thanks again for response

AM27

0 Ratings
john46
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 7

You may get more information if you contact OPENREACH directly
0 Ratings
pottyperson
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 7 of 7

Your insurer needs to know about the accident. So you may as well forget about paying for the damage yourself because the fact that the accident occurred is likely to influence future cover more than the cost is. Your NCD might be saved but it's probably not worth it given the likely cost of the repairs. If you don't report to your insurance company the incident might still get on the industry database; that could be a really big problem in the event of a future claim.   

--
You can click the thumbs up icon below this message if you think it was helpful.
0 Ratings