cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Community Manager - Retired
Message 1 of 277

Cardinal Trial - CL Experiences

Hi Guys

As mentioned this is a thread to capture your experiences of the cardinal trial... if there is a specific angle you want to discuss and think it warrants its own thread then please feel free to start another..

Those of us not on the trial will read your experiences with interest.  As part of the trial you will still need to fill in your feedback forms etc, but this/these threads can be used to discuss amongst yourselves.

Cheers

Kerry

Retired BTCare Community Manager - StephanieG and SeanD are your new Community Managers

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side of the post.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.

0 Ratings
276 REPLIES 276
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 277

Re: Cardinal Trial - CL Experiences

Kerry, what a good idea Smiley Happy

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 3 of 277

New player is a dream. No demand five at the moment TV Guide is weird and not easy to read for those of us with less than perfect vision Choosing HD option on iplayer seems to work It is such a complete overhaul it will take a lot of getting used to But first impression is WOW Do I complete set survey now or wait till it is officially on trial ?

BTLife | 1967 Plus Radio | 1000 Classical Hits
Someone Solved Your Question?
Please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
Helpful Post?
If a post has been helpful, say thanks by clicking the ratings star.
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 277

I agree with Stuart my only comment is the TV guide needs its colours changing may be the old favourite programming colours of blue background and yellow text yes it does take getting used to have been using it since the day after the vision chat with no crashes or software issues so far very pleased with the player and happily sending in surveys
0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 5 of 277

Forgotten where my trial id is

Helpful Post?
0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 6 of 277

Search. Couldn't find Dad's Army 24 just sat there. Maybe some will work when the system goes live.

Helpful Post?
0 Ratings
Guru
Message 7 of 277

Curiosity got the better of me and I hooked the cardinal box up this evening.

Setup was a breeze although I did hope my recording schedule would be carried over. It wasn't. C'est lavvy.

Things I like a lot:

• Very professional look.
  • Both SCART and HDMI seem to be able to display correctly without flipping aspects (couldn't find out how - it just seems to know)
  • iPlayer a big improvement. The SD version of Earthflight didn't exhibit the nastiness of the wmv file and looked sharper than the old one. FF and rewind controls much better.
  • One-step 30s forward is back (way hay!).
  • FF/RW of live TV is nicer and more controllable.
  • Dynamic EPG seems to work. I was recording Wossy which ran over and the recording didn't finish until the following programme started (come to think of it, it was 5 minutes late, so maybe have to play with that a bit more before declaring an unqualified success.)
  • Playback of recordings can now start at a specific time offset.
  •  Disk space meter now sits there on the recording menu
  •  Easier to switch subtitles on.
  •  The guide now seems to contain episode numbers as a matter of course.

Things which aren't so great (personal opinion here, though, and there may be shortcuts I haven't found yet):

• Playing back recordings seems to take an awful lot of button pushes.
  • No recording parameters any more
  • List view is toast (don't like grid, it's ugly, messy and takes forever to navigate)
  • Universal use of the CH+/- to go forward or back a page now seems to be limited to the guide.
  • Search is a bit clunky. It doesn't seem to search for the search string anywhere in the title any more but starts at the beginning. There also doesn't seem to be a way to enter a space so the only thing you can search for is the first word. Therefore if the programme title starts with "The" you end up sorting through everything which begins with a definite article to find the programme you want.

The bit that doesn't seem to work (it's a biggie, I'd be grateful if someone else could verify it's not just me)

Tried to play back a recording and it immediately went back to the menu. Not only that, no programmes would display on the screen anymore. Changed channels.....nothing. I could get the menus up fine, but there was only blankness where telly used to be - including the little PnP. iPlayer similarly affected: time bar on the bottom, no picture.

Had a brainwave and switched over to my DVD recorder connected via SCART et voila. Pictures again. Back to HDMI, nowt.

Tried to play back a recording while viewing DVD recorder, still couldn't. Standby and back again, still nowt.

Reboot. Pictures returned to HDMI. Tried to play back a recording - same again. HDMI TV output gone (but menus still visible).

Reboot and disconnect HDMI cable from TV. Can now play back recordings.

Very odd.

Despite that, I'm generally impressed. This is a test system so there are going to be issues.

Now that I've satisfied my curiosity I think it may be prudent to go back to my silver box until Tuesday when the accounts are made active in case that is causing weirdness and until then it's hard to be sure a fault is a fault and not a setup issue.

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 277

As a couple have now hooked up the box pre the start point I wll now not assuage my curiosity. Will wait til the line is activated for the service then plug in and go. All I have done is coded the remote to the TV and thats fine.
AQ.
"Welcome to Royston Vasey - You'll never leave."

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 9 of 277

Agree about dreadful time it takes to get to play a recording. So many pushes.

Like the potential of the social aspect very much but obviously empty as yet.

Lots of items still marked as  _test

Programme guide only goes a few days foward at moment. Will not mention problems with this until trial system is actually live.

Playback of ITV Player Coronation Street was so bad we watched the recording instead. It worked ok but in that it didn't shudder or break up but picture quality was wrong had  that "filmed" look.

Iplayer is AMAZING

Helpful Post?
0 Ratings
Guru
Message 10 of 277

Did you do the set up form, Stuart?

Are you connected via HDMI? Any problems playing back Corrie?

0 Ratings