cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
yep
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 8

Carrier systems

My brother in law lives in a circa 1980''s bungalow which is when the phone system originates. It has an electric feed up to the loft. It has a BT logo and the words- Carrier system- on the box plugged in the socket. If this is switched off there is no dialing tone and thus no phone if there is a power cut! The house is a few miles from the exchange and in a very rural area.
Do they still need this system and if not what would be the cost to update it.
0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 8

Re: Carrier systems

It will be an old DACS unit which are being phased out. It may not be needed any more, but the only way to find out would be for him to contact his Service Provider who can ask Openreach whether its possible to remove the unit.

DACS allowed two phone connections to be carried over a single pair of wires, but needed units at the exchange and customer to separate the circuits.

See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_Access_Carrier_System

0 Ratings
yep
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 8

Thanks. Do you know if this would incur a cost?
0 Ratings
Devon_Dave
Distinguished Guru
Message 4 of 8

hi. can you supply a photo of the box?
(If I have helped you in any way please click the thumbs up. Thank You)
If I have solved your Issue please click the "Mark as accepted solution" button.
0 Ratings
yep
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 8

They live 30th miles away so do not go frequently.

The box is similar to a Develo box that allows WiFi and broadband through the electric wiring. It does have a wire going to the loft to feed some equipment presumably.
0 Ratings
iniltous
Guru
Message 6 of 8

If it's mains powered it isn't DACS, it will be a WB900 , an analogue carrier system, not a digital carrier system,
I thought these had long since been removed, it could be that the line was converted in the exchange to an ordinary line, but the remote kit left in situ, I believe it may work like this with the mains connected, or it could be (though less likely) still connected to WB900 in the exchange, in which case a 'de-share' will be required.
In the past there was an order type specifically to investigate if it could be removed, bearing in mind the reason for WB900 was line plant shortages , as you could get 2 lines ( an audio customer and carrier customer) down 1 cable pair with this system
You need to speak to BT and get someone long in the tooth enough to remember this stuff and how to deal with it's removal
DACS is the modern equivalent but runs from the exchange voltage , not a local power supply
0 Ratings
yep
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 8

Thanks for that.
0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 8

Depending on who lived in the house before, it could be one of these Smiley Wink

http://www.ringbell.co.uk/ukwmo/Page212.htm

Customer end

http://www.ringbell.co.uk/ukwmo/Page214.htm

These were operational until 1992, and its possible some kit is still out there, but not functioning.

0 Ratings