Message 11 of 49

Re: Carstairs Extremely Low Congestion speeds

same problem for me and am on the lesmahagow exchange

0 Ratings
StephenM71
Aspiring Contributor
Message 12 of 49

Here's what I'm getting just now... (sorry, can't get embedded images to work on this forum for some reason)

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/4100484797

You might consider setting up a broadband quality monitor using http://www.thinkbroadband.com/ping 

You have to register.

My one clearly shows when BT were working today (thick red line of packet loss after 11am). It also shows increases in latency at peak times and around 5% packet loss:-

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/ping/share/fac6b8bac292ad90268db127eceb8ee8-29-01-2015.html

I've got back to my ISP but I'm not hopeful as this has been going on for a couple of months.

0 Ratings
Mcal100
Aspiring Contributor
Message 13 of 49

Glad to see its not just me. My story so far.....
I noticed a drop in speed around Christmas but thought it just due to holiday increase in traffic. At start of jan it really dropped off to the point that a Sky on-Demand HD download took 5 hrs. The buffering was horrendous so abandoned watching film. That's wehn I started looking seriously.
Contacted BT on Sunday morning and they came up with a load of try this, try that. Included settin up a new wifi network connection as he said that new and old generation machines can cause sync problems. Monitored and no improvent.
Next week same thing but this time I contacted them at night when speeds were chronic and was told to disconnect everything and hard wire to router. So all phones iPads and tplink taken off and only connection was Hard wired to back of router. No improvement and even he saw it was about 4Mbps. So he referred to BTOpenzone with the threat that if it was a fault at the home n I would be charged £125.
Engineer came Thursday and not surprisingly nothing wrong with either the home nor the network. He is reporting back to the ISP (BT) and I hope to get a call Monday.
What frustrates me is the constant attempt by the iSP to blame anything but themslevs. It is clear that it is being trolled which cannot be by accident so why the ISP can't come clean when the facts are staring them in the face is beyond me.
the stats are:
Upload speeds are generally okay all the time. Download speeds in morning and day are excellent circa 60Mbps. Nighttime are as follows
25th January. 20:22. 10.07Mbps
26th. 19:45. 14.47
27th. 20:35. 4.86
28th. 20:20. 5.42
29th. 08.10. 65.12
30th. 18:10. 10.5
31st. 01:20. 56.4
I'll let you know what BT Infinity say when they call.
0 Ratings
StephenM71
Aspiring Contributor
Message 14 of 49

Where are you located Macal100?
According to my ISP Openreach are looking at this although the latest report from them was that they'd sorted it.

I haven't seen any improvement.
Nothing showing up on their service status pages.

0 Ratings
Mcal100
Aspiring Contributor
Message 15 of 49

Located in Lanark. Openreach engineer came and tested and all okay including condition of copper cables (according to him). In fact the machine he had indicated 80mbps and 20 Mbps up and he referred to the 80/20. So I do think nothing. Wrong in the physical network side of things. he was reporting back to the ISP (BT) effectively putting it at their door. I don't know what the actual mechanism BT have for throttling but it is clearly in that area that is the problem.
To be honest throttling down to 30 or even 20 would probably be okay cause I am a single user ie doesn't have kids all streaming at the same time but when it gets to single figures download speeds when your tryin to watch a film is pathetic.
0 Ratings
Mcal100
Aspiring Contributor
Message 16 of 49

Ps. I'm using the speedtest/btwholesale site for testing the speeds. Hard wired and no wifi connected
0 Ratings
StephenM71
Aspiring Contributor
Message 17 of 49

That sounds very familiar. Same happened to me on their last visit two weeks ago.

I would be surprised if BT are shaping you traffic in such a way that your throughout is as low as you report.
It's more likely that there is a problem at the Lanark exchange. This would explain why I and others are seeing similar results.
What is frustrating is that BT are not even acknowledging that a problem exists and until they do it isn't going to get fixed.
0 Ratings
galabonnyboy
Aspiring Expert
Message 18 of 49

So I guess BT aren't going to do anything about this, still no reply from the mods either. Don't understand how they can sell a product that only gets 10% of the claimed speed during peak times.
0 Ratings
galabonnyboy
Aspiring Expert
Message 19 of 49

At around 8pm last night my speed was 1.6MB I am paying for up to 76mb this is shocking. I can't fault the service during off peak hours. Even 30mb would be decent enough for peak times but 1.6mb is far too slow.
0 Ratings
StephenM71
Aspiring Contributor
Message 20 of 49

I was down at 0.5Mbps with 10% packet loss.

Have you raised a fault with BT? I suspect the people who need to know you are having problems won't know unless you do this.

Incedentally I don't think 30Mbps would be acceptable for an 80/20 package at peak times!

0 Ratings