cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
DavidBull
Contributor
Message 41 of 55

Re: Catastrophic Customer Service - can anyone help me?

Go to solution

Hi @JohnC2

Are you able to call at all today?  I'm around until 4pm...

Thanks

Dave

0 Ratings
PaddyB
Message 42 of 55

Go to solution

Hi @DavidBull,

I've let @JohnC2 know and he will be giving you a call shortly.

Thanks

PaddyB

0 Ratings
DavidBull
Contributor
Message 43 of 55

Go to solution
Hi John,

Helen my wife has just received a call purporting to be from BT in which they said they thought they were security breaches on our broadband. They had access to our personal details and the phone number but then they asked her to look at a number of websites including a banking website through something called "team viewer". And having just got home and heard about it I think we might be the victims of a scam.

Do you have any way of confirming ASAP whether or not this was a Bonafied contact from BT? And if not, how do we explain that they had access to our details and knew that we had just had a new broadband line installed? Any answers gratefully received! Dave
0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 44 of 55

Go to solution

@DavidBull

That is almost certainly a scam, not sure how they got your details, but Teamviewer will allow access to all of your personal information on your computer, and can insert trojan software and viruses.

You should never allow access to your computer by a stranger.

What phone number did they call from?

0 Ratings
DavidBull
Contributor
Message 45 of 55

Go to solution
They gave the number 020 3289 0864 (gave names David & Jenny) but call list shows 01391 735842
0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 46 of 55

Go to solution

@DavidBull wrote:
They gave the number 020 3289 0864 (gave names David & Jenny) but call list shows 01391 735842

BT only call from the normal 0800 number, so I am afraid it was a scammer Smiley Sad

Lets hope they did not extract too much personal information, especially from banking sites.

Good idea to keep a watch on any transactions.

See https://conversation.which.co.uk/technology/bt-phone-scam-microsoft-technical-support-computer-pc-sc...

Also https://www.btplc.com/inclusion/ProductsAndServices/Scams/index.htm

"We will never ask customers for personal information out of the blue and we’ll never call from an ‘unknown’ number. If we’re getting in touch about your bill, it will usually be from either 0800 328 9393 or 0800 028 5085. "

0 Ratings
DavidBull
Contributor
Message 47 of 55

Go to solution
Thank you! Is there anyone we should report it to?
0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 48 of 55

Go to solution

From the last page I linked to.

• We encourage anyone who’s been scammed or the subject of an attempted scam to report it to Action Fraud – the UK’s national fraud and internet crime reporting centre. This helps law enforcement agencies build up a wider picture that may help protect others.  

Customers can link directly to the Action Fraud portal from this website or call Action Fraud on 0300 123 2040. 

0 Ratings
NeilO
Message 49 of 55

Go to solution

@DavidBull That doesn't sound like a genuine call at all, I've left a message with @JohnC2 to let him know you've posted but it would be recommend that you report it to action fraud as mentioned in the previous post.

0 Ratings
DavidBull
Contributor
Message 50 of 55

Go to solution
Thanks everyone for your help...
0 Ratings