cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 1 of 7

Caution on closing free BT Yahoo! Mail accounts

So I've received an email saying I'm going to loose my btinternet email address as I'm not a Premium email or BT Broadband subscriber (very Mafia like).  I've had it for a decade, and don't subscribe to BT Broadband as its too expensive for just 1Mb/s.

However there are issues.

I continue to receive *some* BT Telephone billing emails to the btinternet email address despite no reference to it on my MyBT Profile.  As such, when the cord is pulled, some of my bill reminders will no longer be received.

I've spent upwards of an hour with nice, but powerless technical support trying to locate the problem, but so far they've failed.  Whoever the genius is that either a) wants to remove this nominal cost service or b) leaves old echos of email addresses bound to customer accounts ... well they're not thinking this through.

My options:

1) Overpay for slow BT Broadband

2) Let the system just bumble along broken

3) Cancel my BT line and go to a competitor

None of these options really makes a lot of sense, but then again, I'm not sure the original decision to cancel free accounts did either.

Just thought forum readers may like to know.

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 2 of 7

Re: Caution on closing free BT Yahoo! Mail accounts

Doesn't BT already make enough money out of us? My husband and I run a small business from home with a BT phone line and BT Business broadband. We have no need for residential phone and broadband as well as we are already paying more than enough for business phone and broadband.

I have had a btinternet email address for so long I can't even remember when I first got it - now I won't be able to carry on with it unless I pay BT £1.60 a month for the priviledge of keeping my own historic information and email address as they won't link it to a business account!

We have had so many issues with BT this year it has already cost us hundreds of pounds and now they want to screw even more out of us.

More corporate greed! Who is worse - banks or BT?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 3 of 7

@HampshireLady wrote:

Doesn't BT already make enough money out of us?

More corporate greed! Who is worse - banks or BT?

Apparently NOT.  Their argument is you measure the amount of money they make or whether it is corporate greed by the size of their directors or CEOs!!!  The BT CEO is not as fat as the CEO of Barclays, RBS or Bank of Scotland.

The fatter they are the more money they are making.  Now BT wants to join the ranks of banks' CEOs!!!

So they came out with the idea of forcing people to pay up or else lose the service completely.  Things will get worse unless people start moving to the competitors and make the habit of moving every year to keep them on their feet.  Don't let them have a strangle-hold over you by staying with them for years and years.

I have started the process for my own affairs and hopefully it is likely to be so simple that I won't have these problems ever again.  I have got my own domain so my email is mine for life that can be moved around wherever I want to.  Currently I have hosted it on Microsoft's Outlook.com for free but I can use my own email address like:

my-name@mydomain.co.uk  or my-name@mydomain.com

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 4 of 7

Jay-Tanna wrote:

So they came out with the idea of forcing people to pay up or else lose the service completely.

Really? What an outrageous thing for a profit-making company to do.

--
You can click the thumbs up icon below this message if you think it was helpful.
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 5 of 7

Why did you all vote for GPO Telephones to be privatised and become BT-A Private company BT is only acting like any other private company. Did you think when the government was putting through the bill to privatise GPO Telephones that some parts would still be nationalised?
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 6 of 7

I was on one of the marches against it, did no good.

Bring back GPO, BR etc etc they may not have been all good but at least you could get answers even if you did not like them.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Expert
Message 7 of 7

Bob .did you know the GPO carried out charity work for handicapped poor people with no relatives.. via the union. UG put through to a pole - O/H and internal done phone supplied-cost?-free.
0 Ratings