cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Message 1 of 12

Caveat emptor - buyer beware

This isn't a reply - I simply can't find the new message button.

I took out the basic infinity package about three months ago having been rung on several occasions and pestered by the sales staff to buy into this.  The salesman suggested that since I didn't download films that the basic package would be enough for my use.

Unfortunately, I bought a new television at the same time which had the I-player built in.  I was very pleased to spend most of my time watching the I-player naively unaware that I was using vast amounts of internet.  Bt sent me warinngs but the warnings were to a btinternet account which was given to me when I took out the Infinity package. I had no reason ever to look at this account and for this reason the warnings were never read.  If they had sent them to my normal email account, this would have avoided the situation in which I now find myself.

I have a bill for £70 excess usage and having to upgrade to unlimited usage will cost me about another £130 till the end of the contract.  I'm now about £200 out of pocket and if I had been aware of this situation I should simply have carried on with the previous broadband connection with which I was quite happy.

I hope that this post will make others think twice before they agree to take Infinity.

The only reason I can see to present a customer with a btinternet account that I can see is to increase the profits of BT as has happened in this case.

0 Ratings
11 REPLIES 11
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 2 of 12

Re: Caveat emptor - buyer beware

Although no help to you, internet users should be fully aware that downloads and streaming are exactly the same thing. It's all useage.

If you only had 40Gb of use on the option 1 package that would have allowed you about 40hours of HD quality streaming from iPlayer. How you managed to find that in a month is beyond me and a different question, I don't really use iPlayer and if anything was on the BBC network I would have recorded anyway.

You should have also been told about the useage meter availabe on this site, updated daily.

I would not really agree with your "buyer beware" quote, but more "buyer be aware" of your useage limits compared to your useage requirements.

http://meanmint.spaces.live.com/
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 3 of 12

Following on from MnM's reply ref usage meter.

Broadband meter http://www.bt.com/appsyouraccount/usage/viewYourBroadbandUsage.do?DN=01342316429

You will get the BT login page and when you fill the details in it will automatically take you straight to your usage meter.

A bit "after the horses bolted" I know but it may help for the future.

Also have the ThinkBroadband meter http://www.thinkbroadband.com/tbbmeter.html

I'm on Infinity option 1 and for example watched Eastbourne's Air Display all day long on Sunday (used 1.1GB).

Edit.... Sadly the TV panel has gone from the Eastbourne link above. (Should be there next year).

I would have thought they would have kept it showing highlights.

The Red Arrows were great flying in the blue sky, yet just 30 miles or so inland we had a grey overcast sky.

Whilst sitting here typing this I am listening to streaming music from the USA which I often do (click on Escucha en vivo).

I keep an eye on my usage and find at the moment 40GB is fine, my usage half way thru the month is below.-

• 8.41 GB used
  • 31.59 GB remaining
 until 31 Aug 2011

Product: BT Infinity Option 1 Allowance : 40.0 GB per month

--------------------------------------------//--------------------------------------------
Please Click On any Text in Blue as that automatically links to information.

PC (NDEGR)

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Message 4 of 12

@geolynn wrote:

I took out the basic infinity package about three months ago having been rung on several occasions and pestered by the sales staff to buy into this.  The salesman suggested that since I didn't download films that the basic package would be enough for my use.

On what you possibly told the salesperson about your usage , they were possible right about the basic package.

Unfortunately, I bought a new television at the same time which had the I-player built in.  I was very pleased to spend most of my time watching the I-player naively unaware that I was using vast amounts of internet.

Then you changed your usage patterns

Bt sent me warinngs but the warnings were to a btinternet account which was given to me when I took out the Infinity package.

That would normally be the case.

I had no reason ever to look at this account and for this reason the warnings were never read.  If they had sent them to my normal email account, this would have avoided the situation in which I now find myself.

Did you stipulate this email address was to be used

I have a bill for £70 excess usage and having to upgrade to unlimited usage will cost me about another £130 till the end of the contract.  I'm now about £200 out of pocket and if I had been aware of this situation I should simply have carried on with the previous broadband connection with which I was quite happy.

I hope that this post will make others think twice before they agree to take Infinity.

I can see no reason based on what you done and said, for others to think twice before they agree to take Infinity

The only reason I can see to present a customer with a btinternet account that I can see is to increase the profits of BT as has happened in this case.

toekneem

(EASBF)

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Sage
Message 5 of 12

I just treated this thread with the contempt it deserves.Smiley Very Happy

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 6 of 12

@toekneem wrote:

@geolynn wrote:

On what you possibly told the salesperson about your usage , they were possible right about the basic package.

Unfortunately, I bought a new television at the same time which had the I-player built in.  I was very pleased to spend most of my time watching the I-player naively unaware that I was using vast amounts of internet.

Then you changed your usage patterns

As you might expect to do once you have a more capable service

Bt sent me warinngs but the warnings were to a btinternet account which was given to me when I took out the Infinity package.

That would normally be the case.

My ISP sands ALL communications on 2 different email addresses, the one they supplied me and the one I already had when I signed up.

I had no reason ever to look at this account and for this reason the warnings were never read.  If they had sent them to my normal email account, this would have avoided the situation in which I now find myself.

Did you stipulate this email address was to be used

They ask for an existing email address during sign-up, it's not  unreasonable to assume that will be used for future communications.

I can see no reason based on what you done and said, for others to think twice before they agree to take Infinity

I see this as a very helpful warning to others who almost certainly will change their usage habits once a decent fast service is installed

Most people WILL use more bandwidth if they upgrade to Infinity simply because the technology opens up so many new possibilities.  The OP made mistakes (or was simply not aware of the likely increase in usage or tools for monitoring it) and is sharing experience to help others avoid such mistakes, another way of looking at it is that sales must be aware that people's usage is almost bound to increase once on Infinity and should advise accordingly (possibly an opportunity to sell Option 2 in the first place).

Thank You geolyn for information that may well help others.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 7 of 12

geolynn, you f-ed up. You didn't read into something before agreeing.

Get your chequebook out because no one is too blame but yourself.
------------------------------------------------------------------------
If I helped, then consider clicking the star to the left
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 8 of 12

Walker23, from your posts on these forums i can see you are a bit upset with BT and your nonsense replies are not helping anyone here, could you please do us a favour and like you said, order your fibre optic broadband from ISP who will baby sit you and leave these forums.

Many Thanks

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 9 of 12

@Bandulu wrote:

Walker23, from your posts on these forums i can see you are a bit upset with BT and your nonsense replies are not helping anyone here

Well Bandulu, I certainly don't agree that my replies are nonsense (excepting the occasional typo), as for 'not helping', those who 'attacked' the OPs post are the ones goilty of not helping.  The OP admided being in error but had some reasonable extenuation but you guys are just so happy to rip into a fellow custiomer who actually makes some helpful points which could benefit others.

I don't like your attitide but I'm not going to get upset about it.

You are NOT, however, in a position to ask me to leave these forums so I'd thank you not to make such rediculous suggestions.

Thanks.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Message 10 of 12

Yes maybe try TalkTalk they lovvvvvve people like you

bye bye

toekneem

(EASBF)