cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bmelsom
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 7

Change from imap to pop

I have moved to mac and using mountain lwith apple mail. Unfortunately I let mail setup as imap (seems to be default). I am having problems with it eg some sent mails not being saved and want to go back to POP. I deleted the account on the mac and tried to set it up as pop but the option was not available, it seems either the mac or yahoo now only recognise this account as imap. surely there must be a way to do this?

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 7

Re: Change from imap to pop

You are likely to get far more problems with POP, than you are getting with IMAP.

To overcome the problem of sent Emails giving errors, even though they are actually being send, create a local mail folder called sent, and alter your mail client account settings to save a copy of the sent e-mails in that folder.

Its an issue that also occurs on the Thunderbird e-mail client, which is used across all platforms.

0 Ratings
bmelsom
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 7

Thank you for your help.

I have done that and now I get msent messages in 2 places, but I guess that better than missing some; today i "lost" 2 which were important and I had to ask for them to be sent back!

I don't need mail-on-the move, just on my home PC, hence I was wondering how to get back to POP,( which after the event I found out was BT's recommendation.)

Do you have any more thoughts please?

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 7

I do not know how to do that on the MAC. I know in Thunderbird you have to delete the account settings and start again.

If you read the forum, you will find that there are a lot of timeout issues with the BT Yahoo POP servers, and many people have given up with POP3 and are using IMAP.

Maybe someone who knows about Macmail can help, but I seem to remember this question being asked before without any answer.

Sorry I cannot be of more help.

0 Ratings
bmelsom
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 7

Thank you. This is one of those frustrating problems; I cannot tell if it is the mail or server that prevents the change. I'll try apple before my 3 mth support expires. Well at least I'm better off now even if I get duplicates

0 Ratings
Thom
Beginner
Message 6 of 7

My heart goes out to you. I'm having similar problems and the BT Chat helper doesn't seem to have a clue either.

My iCloud IMAP account works a treat, but my new BT IMAP account just does not cut the mustard - it's slow, it doesn't always save sent messages, it does not update the server when deleting a message, etc, etc, etc.

I've been a BTinternet user for MANY years using POP without problems on a few Macs, but now, since trying to get them to work using IMAP, the bottom has fallen out and there doesn't seem to be any way back to POP (even with its limitations) but at least it worked!

I'm considering changing all my email to my iCloud address, but boy, is that a hassle!!!

Frustrated is not the word for it, but that's about as colourful as my language gets.

0 Ratings
bmelsom
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 7

I finally got a solution to this from Apple. I forgot how it was done until I read the following article. The instructions at the end was how I got back to POP. The article is about Virgin and ipad, but the instructions are the same from ADD ACCOUNT.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/advice/9828232/Ask-Rick-how-can-I-get-emails-on-my-iPad.html

0 Ratings