Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
wileecraig
Beginner
Message 1 of 7

Change my old line for a new one

Hi

Ive just moved house and ordered bt broadband, I was told I should expect speeds UPTO 8 mb...I wasn't expecting that high anyway I was just hoping I could at least watch the iplayer now and again...now I'm up and running ive been told my line is only capable of 500kbs, I've moved to a house in the centre of a town and my line comes in underground, I've been told by bt India I'm on a very long line....but the exchange is only 380 yards away? The building at the side of me has a telephone cable going to a pole 40yds away I was wondering if I could have a new line installed off the same pole my speeds might be more acceptable, I know this will cost but I'm stuck in a contract that will cost me £200 to cancel, I've only been signed up for three weeks and its nigh on useless!!

Thank you in advance for any help

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7

Re: Change my old line for a new one

Hi Wileecraig,

Thanks for posting. How long has your broadband been installed? Has the connection always been slow? Can you run a test at www.speedtester.bt.com and let me know the results. Once you've done that drop me an email to forum.moderation.team@bt.com with your account details and a link to this thread for reference.

Cheers

David

Community ModeratorDaveM
Did you get the help you needed?
Help others by clicking on ‘Mark as accepted solution’
Show your appreciation!
Click on the star next to a reply to say thanks
Help guide to using the community? Click below
Kudos”Kudos”
0 Ratings
wileecraig
Beginner
Message 3 of 7

FAQ

Results Image not loaded

Test1 comprises of Best Effort Test: -provides background information.

Download Speed
	79 Kbps

0 Kbps	500 Kbps
Max Achievable Speed

Download speedachieved during the test was - 79 Kbps
 For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 50-500 Kbps.
 Additional Information:
 Assured Rate IP profile on your line is - 500 Kbps

If you wish to discuss these results please contact your ISP.

If you are experiencing problems with specific applications, servers or websites please contact your ISP for assistance.

Your test has completed please close this window to exit the performance tester.

Please visit FAQ section if you are unable To understand the test results.

Hi David

Ive been connected since the 13th of april, the connection has always been slow but not as slow as this result...normally get about 400Kbps

0 Ratings
Community Manager
Community Manager
Message 4 of 7

Hi wileecraig,

I'll run a few checks on my end, that throughput speed is low to say the least. Can you email your telephone and account number to forum.moderation.team@bt.com, and include a link to this thread?

Ta,

Stephanie
Community ModeratorStephanie
Did you get the help you needed?
Help others by clicking on ‘Mark as accepted solution’
Show your appreciation!
Click on the star next to a reply to say thanks
Help guide to using the community? Click below
Kudos”
Please avoid contacting us (moderators) via private message, for account/fault issues, unless invited to do so. The community will be able to help answer your question so we encourage you to create a new thread if you can’t find the answer from existing discussions. The moderators will be around to lend a hand should the community not have the answers. Thank You
0 Ratings
CaptnSpaulding
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 7

Have EXACTLY the same problem here.

Moved into a house 2 weeks ago and ordered a BT line which got activated yesterday (Thursday 6th) purposely for broadband which in my village is between 6-7mb.

I tried ordering broadband yesterday only to be told by BT the maximum I can get is 500k. I then tried o2 Access and they say they can't even provide me broadband.

I entered my next door neighbours details in the checker and she can get 7mb - the telephone pole is in my back garden and I can see both lines identical from the same place on the pole coming into both our houses so it's not wired any differently.

I've spent all yesterday and today on the phone with BT who's reply is 'tough'!

Needless to say I've now put in a cancellation/complaint in which is being looked at by someone higher to which I've been told if they can rectify the problem then all is well, but if they can't then they might be able to sway the cancellation fee. I sure as hell won't pay a penny if it turns out they don't sway it and they can take me to court!

Only been a BT customer for 24 hours and already had nothing but grief.

0 Ratings
a_rad
Aspiring Expert
Message 6 of 7

No doubt BT Wholesale's data is out of date or it may be the number you've been allocated was at another property further away from the exchange.

In any event your connection pays no attention to the line checker so assuming your line takes the same route as your neighbours to the exchange you'll get similar speeds.

What exactly are you complaining about if you haven't got broadband yet?

Half Man Half Biscuit - Joy Division Oven Gloves - Save 6
0 Ratings
Highlighted
CaptnSpaulding
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 7

I'm complaining because I don't want to risk tying myself in a 12 or 18 month broadband contract if all I can get is 500k when it should be 6-7mb. 

Your reply is similar to what is going through my mind and I am very tempted to just go ahead and order it, but like I just said, if I turn out to be wrong and the line is at fault for whatever reason then I'll be paying for something useless to me.

Thanks for the reply

0 Ratings