cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Beginner
Message 1 of 10

Change primary account holder

Go to solution
I'm finding it hard to believe that in 2016 I'm unable to change the account holder on a BT sports account? I no longer live at the adress, my ex partner pays the bill and lives at the address and yet I'm told he can't be the account holder unless we cancelled the current account and paid the fee for the rest of the contract and start a new contract! This doesn't make any sense at all and is infuriating!
0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 10

Re: Change primary account holder

Go to solution
Sorry but that is correct there are only limited reasons that a name change can be altered and that is a bereavement
0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 3 of 10

Go to solution

It makes perfect sense from BT's point of view.  They made a contract with you and nobody else.  You can't just tell them that someone else is now responsible and walk away from the contract.

Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 10

Go to solution

BT also need a new contract, which will only be agreed if a credit check passes. This is to make sure that the new account holder can pay any bills.

Contracts are not transferrable.

The current account holder can move their account to another address. If you are the account holder, then you can just request a home move to your new address and transfer the service there, that would avoid any cancellation charges.

Beginner
Message 5 of 10

Go to solution
my ex already pays the bill and I hate sports haha
0 Ratings
Beginner
Message 6 of 10

Go to solution
@Ectophile and why not?! If that person is paying and wants the contract then what's the problem. Sky have no issue with it, I don't see why BT should. But such is life!
0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 7 of 10

Go to solution

Because BT has no guarantee that they can pay or will pay.

I could find someone sleeping rough on the street and offer them a 4-pack of Special Brew if they sign a bit of paper for me.  I then send off the letter to BT saying that someone else has taken over my contract, and it's not my responsibility any more.

0 Ratings
Beginner
Message 8 of 10

Go to solution
They can and do if they switch the contract to their name and credit check the very bank account that is being used to pay the bills. Ah well, maybe I'll die and then it won't be an issue lol if I am so lucky as to survive the full contract I'll make sure I cancel it as soon as am able 🙂
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 10

Go to solution
They do not credit check the Bank account but the person applying for service
0 Ratings
Message 10 of 10

Go to solution

Hi @Littleoyster,

What the guys have said is correct, it is not possible to transfer a contract from one name to another. The only thing that can be done is a new account can be set up in the new account holder name, this would involve a new contract as well as a credit check.

This also means that the old account would be ceased, (unless you were moving that with you to you new address) and any held to term charges my apply for stopping that service while still under contract.

Thanks

PaddyB

0 Ratings