Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
kushicats
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 8

Changing Router

BT allow the use of non BT routers so I want to try using a Sky wi fi router

I asked BT what I needed to do and they gave me some instructions but to change them I need to access the 'firmware' of the Sky router which I don't seem able to do especially to change things like MRU/MTU VPI & VCI etc

Can anyone help or suggest anything?

Thanks

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 8

Re: Changing Router

As far as I'm aware Sky routers are locked down in the same way BT ones are. Can't imagine a Sky router being an improvement on the HH anyway, both are cheap and nasty ISP rubbish. Treat yourself to a proper router.

0 Ratings
kushicats
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 8

Such As?  and why would they be better?  (sorry but I am a complete numpty non techie)   I live in a very rural area (blackspot for mobile phone reception) and can only get Bt Broadband. 

0 Ratings
licquorice
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 8

They would be better because they are not locked down, have external aerials which will give better wifi coverage, firmware can be changed as and when you see fit rather than the ISP, etc, etc.

Not wishing to be rude, but if you are asking those questions, why do you wish to change in the first place? What is it that you are hoping to achieve? With that knowledge better advice may be given.

Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 8

Here is one solution.

Cheap reliable replacement for home hub.

You can spend a bit more (£65) on the TP Link Archer VR400 which has dual wireless, if you have 5G devices that can connect to it.

I am now using one of those cheaper ones, instead of my old BT Home Hub 1, and am quite impressed, as it connects at a faster speed.

0 Ratings
kushicats
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 8

Well   I have a Panasonic Viera TV (purchased Dec2015) and was with Plusnet  and everything worked great. But in Dec2016 I changed back to BT and coincidently I could not get On Demand services on the TV. It keeps saying 'You need to be connected to the internet for this service'  even though the Tv is connected because I can access the web & apps.   Someone told me that it is the BT homehub which is causing the problem so I purchased a brand new Sky On Demand router in a charity shop for £2 and thought I would give it a go to see if it solves the prob.......

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 8

See

Panasonic Viera 

It may help with the home hub.

0 Ratings
XRaySpeX
Recognised Expert
Message 8 of 8

£2 for a locked router! That's charity indeed!

A Sky router is probably the worst choice you could make.