cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Message 1 of 7

Changing the MyBT User ID

Arising from this thread

https://community.bt.com/t5/Other-Broadband-Queries/MyBT-and-new-BT-Email-using-common-ID-and-passwo...

at

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/44847/kw/change%20BT%20ID%20username/c/6401,6574,6612

we read:

Can I change my BT ID username?

Yes, you can change your BT ID username at any time. Your username should be your preferred email address.

(my bold)

It doesn't say "must". It doesn't say "any email address". Nor does it say that it must be "your primary BT address". So can it be anything one likes, such as a plain name and not an email address, such as I have now - still on BTYahoo so not migrated? If it must be a BT address, can one choose a new secondary address?

I'm asking because I am beginning to suspect that when I am migrated my MyBT user ID will change by default to the email address used on our MyBT account. Is this what happens?

There seems to be a very unhelpful lack of clarity about the matter of MyBT and BT Email ID and passwords, not helped by the above ambiguities and uncertainties, and an ugly workaround to change to a BT Email password that differs from that used for MyBT.

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 2 of 7

Re: Changing the MyBT User ID

It has to be an email address and not a username because on the next screen it prompts you to enter your existing BT ID password and once complete sends an email to the new address you have chosen.  Once you receive that email and click on the link it switches over

As for whether it can be another email non BT email address.....not sure.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 3 of 7

@andrew_langdon wrote:

It has to be an email address and not a username because on the next screen it prompts you to enter your existing BT ID password and once complete sends an email to the new address you have chosen.

Thank you andrew_langdon. What happens if you try an ID that is not an email address?
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Expert
Message 4 of 7

My BT ID is a none BT email address and works fine.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 7

But have you been migrated to BTMail yet?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Expert
Message 6 of 7

That I have not.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 7

Things may change then!! There still doesn't appear to be a definitive statement on this from BT
0 Ratings