cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 1 of 13

Changing to another exchange for Infinity

Hi, I have a question for you guys, I've already raised this with BT and am awaiting a response....

I have one line coming into my house from the cabinet some distance away, the local exchange I am connected to has just been upgraded. Due to the distance from the Road side cabinet BT are only able to provide me with 'faster broadband'

I'm getting 9Mbps (ish) down and 800Kbps (ish) up.

Anyway, the pole that that feeds my phone line is outside my driveway... HOWEVER... my neighbours phone line (from a different exchange) is at the side of my garden. I have done a check on his postcode and number and am being told he can get Infinity up to 40Mbps down and 10Mbps up.

I'd like to order another line, dedicated to Internet access, I'd like to know if I can request that the new line is added to my neighbours exchange thus giving me a better internet speed. (It's hard work with kids in the house all wanting to watch Netflix at the same time)

Do you think this is a resonable request? and is it likely to be done?

My only other option after that... NO, NOT MOVE HOUSE, is to pay my neighbour for him to get Infinity and me run a Cat5/6 cable over to my house. I'm not yet convinced he would like me doing the cable thing.

Any thoughts would be great, thanks.

0 Ratings
12 REPLIES 12
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Message 2 of 13

Re: Changing to another exchange for Infinity

@D00B wrote:

Hi, I have a question for you guys, I've already raised this with BT and am awaiting a response....

Do you think this is a resonable request? and is it likely to be done?

Yes to the first question, and no to the second.

Openreach wire phone lines however it suits them.  If you already have a phone line, then they are most likely to run the new one the same route.  Many houses are now fed by multi-core drop cables as standard, so there's every chance that if you ask for a new line, then they will just turn up and install a new socket next to the first one, using the spare cores in the cable.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 3 of 13

Would this not also suggest that there are extra cores on the neighbours line also? Our house is split into two, one side is a granny flat for the mother in law and then there is our side, even our sky bills are seperate House 1 (me) house 2 (her). This new line would be in my name and not the mother in laws so this would be (in my mind) a new house connection with a new customer.

What amazes me is that the poles are only 5 mtrs apart. I live on the boundary of two exchanges, this seems to me a really simple thing to do.

If my house was a new build, they would have to run another cable would they not?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Message 4 of 13

Your case might be an exception, and you might be able to get a line from the other pole if you can persuade BT that you need a new line in a part of the house that has no visibility of your existing pole, but which can see the pole you want to be connected to.

When installing new lines, Openreach always take the least effort approach.  That means that they prefer to run a line to a pole that's visible from where the line is needed.

It's going to be tricky, though.  You have to place your order with BT (or any other provider of fibre broadband if you wish), who then pass the order on to Openreach.  So you've got an intermediary between yourself and the people who will be doing the work.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 5 of 13

This is what BTCare told me to begin with, my concern is that they will just connect it to the pole nearer the driveway without dare I say it.... consulting me first.

Both poles can be seen, I'd argue that the pole I want connecting to is further  than the one we are on currently. But we are talking a metre at worst....

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 6 of 13

Further response from BTCare to my question/issue......

'I'm afraid as you are already connected to the further away exchange, any new lines you install will also be connected to that exchange as well. The way Openreach work they associate your address with an exchange, and once its associated with that exchange then any other services that are ordered will go through that exchange. An address cannot be connected to two unfortunately.'

It seems that even when living on a boundary you are stuck to one exchange.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 13

I wonder if your neighbour could place the order but say that service is required at your address. That way the actual order would be asociated with his line/address. Might start getting a bit complicated though!

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 8 of 13

It's a good idea, but to be honest it doesnt seem that BT are overly interested, they claim that openreach hold all the cards and are not going to change their ways.

My most likely outcome will be to request my neighbour place an order on his line as he doesnt have internet and I run a CAT5/6 cable from house to house. 

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 9 of 13

'I wonder if your neighbour could place the order but say that service is required at your address. That way the actual order would be asociated with his line/address. Might start getting a bit complicated though!'

Its not about where you place the order from, it's all to do with the 'Installation Address'..... Once an order is submitted to Openreach they check for any current or previous installations at that address, based on that they will then provide network routing via the same DP......

So if they see there is an active line there on DP1 connected to PCP1 on ABC Exchange they'll check routing for DP1 and pick a spare or stopped line on it to be provided at the premises......
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 10 of 13

That rules out that theory then, CAT cable it must be, all being the neighbour will agree to my request.

Something interesting I have found on the Connecting Cheshire website's FAQ's.....

From Spring 2013, anyone in an FTTC-enabled area can upgrade to FTTP.  FTTP allows any end-user to have a full fibre connection installed to their home or business premise. There will be a charge for the associated network build and an installation charge – all based on distance from our nearest network nodes. FTTP will allow access to speeds of up to 330Mbit/s downstream and 30Mbit/s upstream.

Enquiries about FTTP should be directed to your ISP. Please note that orders for FTTP will be subject to a detailed local survey and additional connection charges.

0 Ratings