Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Stewadg
Beginner
Message 1 of 8

Changing to infinity

Go to solution
I'm moving from ADSL to infinity and have change date of tomorrow. Have received smart hub in post. I was expecting engineer visit, but when I checked with BT they said no need, just plug in kit they've sent and I'm good to go.
I thought I needed an engineer?
Can anyone confirm if this advice is correct?
0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 8

Re: Changing to infinity

Go to solution

You do not get an engineer visit. Just plug it in the same as the old one.

0 Ratings
Stewadg
Beginner
Message 3 of 8

Go to solution
That's what the very helpful lass on the phone said. I was amazed, after reading all the stuff on here about moving master sockets etc.
0 Ratings
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 8

Go to solution

You will only get an engineer visit if there is a problem after you have connected up. In the vast majority of self installs there is no problem and an engineer visit to just plug in the hub would be a waste of money and resources.

Stewadg
Beginner
Message 5 of 8

Go to solution
Can I ask another?

Currently I have extension cable running from my master socket to front room, where my current router is.

When infinity starts will I still be able to use same setup to have smart hub in front room.

Length of extension is about 6m, and the street cabinet is literally outside my front garden, so total length of copper between me and fibre only about 20m max.
0 Ratings
Webby
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 8

Go to solution
At that distance from the cabinet, I doubt it will have any impact.

Especially if you went for Infinity 1, but even on Infinity 2 it's unlikely, unless it's terrible quality and or damaged.
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
Stewadg
Beginner
Message 7 of 8

Go to solution
Many thanks, that's very helpful.

Previous experiences with BT have tended to leave me slightly paranoid about their ability to deliver!
0 Ratings
Webby
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 8

Go to solution
Wouldn't matter which ISP you used. The connection from the cabinet to your modem is carried over the same Openreach network.
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
0 Ratings