Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Expert
Message 1 of 8

Charge for Home Hub 4

The T&C for Unlimited Broadband Extra + Calls state:

"If you leave in the first year, we'll charge you up to £55 towards the cost of your new Hub."

Is this applicable if one is leaving due to the price increase?

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 8

Re: Charge for Home Hub 4

@aoxm84 wrote:

The T&C for Unlimited Broadband Extra + Calls state:

"If you leave in the first year, we'll charge you up to £55 towards the cost of your new Hub."

Is this applicable if one is leaving due to the price increase?

Yes it is, you still have to pay for the hub, and a £30 cease charge if you move to a broadband provider like Virgin Media.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Expert
Message 3 of 8

@Keith_Beddoe wrote:

Yes it is, you still have to pay for the hub, and a £30 cease charge if you move to a broadband provider like Virgin Media.

Thanks. Do you know if it's possible to return the Hub to avoid the charge or am I forced to keep it?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 8

I don`t think BT would allow that, its of little value to BT. The actual cost of the hub is spread over your contract period.

If you only have a few months to run on your contract, it would be probably be cheaper to wait until then. You then can switch if BT cannot give you a competitive deal.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Message 5 of 8

I don't know if anybody has legally tested that one.  I suggest you contact BT, rather than just making any assumptions, or accepting anyone else's assumptions.

Anything that BT does to the contract has to remain compliant with The Unfair Terms in Consumer Contracts Regulations 1999 http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/1999/2083/pdfs/uksi_19992083_en.pdf which gives the customer the right to cancel the contract if there is a price rise (Schedule 2, section 1, paragraph (l)).

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 8

This forum has certainly been invaluable in untangling the T&Cs relating to contract exits when a price rise has been announced. I wonder if anyone can help with another hub question?

A relative has been with BT for some years but 2 months ago was sent a new hub to replace the old one. Does the £65 hub charge on leaving BT apply if the hub is an unsolicited replacement for an older hub?

Thanks for any help.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Message 7 of 8

@Sigh wrote:

This forum has certainly been invaluable in untangling the T&Cs relating to contract exits when a price rise has been announced. I wonder if anyone can help with another hub question?

A relative has been with BT for some years but 2 months ago was sent a new hub to replace the old one. Does the £65 hub charge on leaving BT apply if the hub is an unsolicited replacement for an older hub?

Thanks for any help.

It depends.

If a customer is within a minimum contract period, the Hub is guaranteed.  If it goes wrong, then the new Hub is just a replacement under warranty.

If the customer is not in a minumum contract period, then BT normally ask that they start a new 12 month contract to get a free Hub.  Otherwise the customer is expected to buy their own.

If neither of the above applies, then it's anyone's guess.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 8

If it was sent unsolicited without any input from your relative and no explanation from BT as to why they sent it I would treat it as a gift from BT.

BT would find it very difficult to justify charging you for something they sent you with out an explanation or a covering letter explaining the implications of keeping the Homehub. ie you will be charged for this if you leave BT and especially if there was no option explaining how to send it back free of charge if you did not want the Homehub.

0 Ratings