cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
theatrebunny
Beginner
Message 1 of 6

Charged by BT for them not solving my intermittent problem!

Go to solution

In May I discovered a problem with my phone line. Often when I picked it up there would be a loud crackling on the line, not always but very often.

I called BT and on their advice brought my work phone and cable home. I tried these and the problem was still there. Thus proving my equipment was not at fault.

The engineer came out and sods law, the line was quiet. He diagnosed it as an intermittent problem, possibly caused by the elements affecting the line outside my property (it is often raining when the fault occurs).

Since then I still have the fault, it is so bad i have made only 3 calls on the line in a month!!

Then today, my bill arrives, I have been charged £130 for the engineer not fixing the problem! I did as I was told and proved my equipment was not to blame so the problem must be with the line (I had it fitted by BT in February and the engineer struggled with the cable then but promised it would not be a problem. the first of many BT lies I fear).

I called BT at 10am and after a long wait I was promised a call back between 2pm and 3pm, of course they failed to call. I had to explain my problem all over again and finally was put through to billing. They put me on hold 4 times and couldn't get through to the right department. So I have yet again been promised a call back! I have to go out (already missed one appointment because of the failed call back) so have told them to call my mobile.

Can anyone on here help me? Currently the line is fuzz free but it gets too loud to use several times a week and my broadband is also slow and drops out several times most evenings.

I will not be paying £130 for a dodgy service that BT have failed to fix and lots of broken customer service promises!

Zoe

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 6

Re: Charged by BT for them not solving my intermittent problem!

Go to solution
Hi unfortunately intermittent fault are difficult to find and some times needs several visits to solve

However non payment is a bad ideas it can lead to the loss of service and action by debt collectors to recover the payment and a possible bad credit record if it ends up in court action I hope you reconsider that action
theatrebunny
Beginner
Message 3 of 6

Go to solution

Thanks for the reply but when it comes to a chage equivalent to 650% of my monthly bill I must take a stand.

I shall be not be reconsidering my actions when it comes to allowing BT to take £130 I do not owe from my account.

I will of course be paying the main part of my bill and witholding the £130 charge only.

I am drafting a letter so BT have this in writing, they should be able to sort this before my credit rating is affected. I always pay all my other bills by direct debit on time but simply do not have a spare £130.

I have contacted the moderators who can hopefully speed this process along.

I imagine it will be easier to get my credit rating up again than claw back the cash one BT have taken it!

Anyway, as a single person household on a low wage I never use credit as I am too poor to afford it! I'd need to triple my wage to afford a mortgage!

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 4 of 6

Go to solution

I suggest that you pay the bill, but also report the fault as not cured and keep reporting it as a phone fault.Make no mention of the fact that your broadband drops out.

toekneem

(EASBF)

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 6

Go to solution
OK i do understand your feelings just please be careful
0 Ratings
theatrebunny
Beginner
Message 6 of 6

Go to solution

SOLVED!

Emailed someone high up in BT in the wee hours and a lovely chap called me back later in the morning.

Charge removed, engineer coming next week, will not be charged if intermittent problem is not playing up.

Thanks BT, that's more like it.

0 Ratings