cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
vicscot
Message 1 of 6

Charged for 152Gb excess usage in June - BT can't supply details

Just looking for a bit of advice here.  We are on Option One broadband, and have been known to go over our download limit, but never by this much! No one in the house games online, we don't watch tv online, or download movies.  Our i-tunes downloads amount to maybe three or four songs a month.  Apart from that, it's just general e-mail, facebook, the odd video on youtube.  And, we were on holiday for the last 10 days of June, so this 152 Gb was apparently used in the space of 20 days.  BT have told me that they can't tell me when or what the excess charge relates to, but that we must have used this amount.  Of course, they can't be wrong...

Anyway, I have contacted Ofcom and raised a complaint with BT (got sick of being sent around the houses and being cut off), but just wondered if anyone has had any success challenging these extra charges?  I had a look though some forum postings already, and I have to say, it's not looking good!

Cheers

Vic

Oh yes - and BT also told me, the person who holds the account, that they couldn't tell me 'for privacy reasons' what the usage related to.  Uh huh.

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
vicscot
Message 2 of 6

Re: Charged for 152Gb excess usage in June - BT can't supply details

So much for submitting a complaint - why can BT not understand that I am NOT disputing that they sent e-mails to a BT address I have never used, but I am disputing that I used 152Gb - or, as it turns out, 162Gb as the 152Gb doesn't include my basic allowance.  They still can't tell me when the usage took place - I have long given up hope of finding out what the usage was, but they seem to be incapable of understanding that, since the house was empty for the last 10 days in June, if there was any usage then, we have a problem.

Just spoke to Michael who said that maybe the modem wasn't secure, to which I replied that it was as secure as BT gave me the ability to make it.  No no, he said, it's your job to secure your modem.  Well, I said, as far as I am concerned, it's secure.  Could someone have hacked in, he said?  Eh?  Hang on - isn't that what this whole thing is about?  If someone 'could' have hacked into my modem, then the usage isn't mine, is it?  So the modem has security issues, I said.  No, no, no, says Michael, but if you've left your Wep key lying around....  No, I haven't left, lent or otherwise compromised my Wep key.  Plus we live in a totally rural area - I think I'd notice someone near enough my house to use the frankly limited wireless signal we have anyway - if I can't get a wireless signal downstairs in my front room, what chance has someone outside the property got?  And how long would they need to be there, exactly, to get 152Gb of data?

Please, someone, anyone, help me out here.  I am getting absolutely nowhere.  Oh, and by the way - usage from 1st to 20th July?  7gb.  

0 Ratings
Malacath
Expert
Message 3 of 6

If you are using WEP security you should change immedietly to WPA or WPA2. WEP is not secure and is easily hacked. If you are using WEP then you might as well have no security at all.

Anyway when I had a problem with talk talk a couple of years ago I made a complaint though the ISPA. Talk talk bent over backwards to sort the problem out after I done that.

You may be better off complaing through the ISPA than through ofcom.

go to www.ispa.org.uk and find the complaints page.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 4 of 6

@vicscot wrote:snip

Please, someone, anyone, help me out here.

Although it refers to Business Fibre users, have a read - http://community.bt.com/t5/BB-in-Home/Possible-reason-for-getting-the-You-re-over-your-limit-warning...

You could ask BT to review it in case you have been wrongly billed.

Note Andy_N's reply on the above link - "The person who reported in the newsgroups getting the 100GB excess usage email is not a fibre customer I believe".

It's worth a shot IMO.

-+-No longer a forum member-+-
0 Ratings
iccarus69
Beginner
Message 5 of 6

have you installed any new software that may be downloading excess information or any peer to peer sharing software that can be uploading to others without your knowledge from a shared directory. it has been known for some websites to use this to send this. Also some face book applications have been known to illegally take information especially watching embedded videos via facebook.

Also under the freedom of information act BT have to tell you at least what times the high usages occur. it may cost you a fee if you go through legal channels if you wish to use it as a last resort.

but im sure that bt could tell you when your usage is high as it is more beneficial for them to solve this than loose a customer.

Try running a virus checker and security suite "the free mcaffee suite will do "or ask the people in broadband to "take over" your computer to check the security vulnerabilities. it should help and put your mind at ease at least.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 6 of 6

@vicscot wrote:

So much for submitting a complaint - why can BT not understand that I am NOT disputing that they sent e-mails to a BT address I have never used, but I am disputing that I used 152Gb - or, as it turns out, 162Gb as the 152Gb doesn't include my basic allowance.  They still can't tell me when the usage took place - I have long given up hope of finding out what the usage was, but they seem to be incapable of understanding that, since the house was empty for the last 10 days in June, if there was any usage then, we have a problem.

Just spoke to Michael who said that maybe the modem wasn't secure, to which I replied that it was as secure as BT gave me the ability to make it.  No no, he said, it's your job to secure your modem.  Well, I said, as far as I am concerned, it's secure.  Could someone have hacked in, he said?  Eh?  Hang on - isn't that what this whole thing is about?  If someone 'could' have hacked into my modem, then the usage isn't mine, is it?  So the modem has security issues, I said.  No, no, no, says Michael, but if you've left your Wep key lying around....  No, I haven't left, lent or otherwise compromised my Wep key.  Plus we live in a totally rural area - I think I'd notice someone near enough my house to use the frankly limited wireless signal we have anyway - if I can't get a wireless signal downstairs in my front room, what chance has someone outside the property got?  And how long would they need to be there, exactly, to get 152Gb of data?

Please, someone, anyone, help me out here.  I am getting absolutely nowhere.  Oh, and by the way - usage from 1st to 20th July?  7gb.  

Hi.

If BT can't say when the usage took place, especially during that June period and are quoting "privacy reasons", that is pure nonesense and frankly total fiction. They can surely say when the data was used, otherwise they couldn't give any figures.

I assume you've not loaded something like spotify (which is a p2p system) ...

162GB in 20 days is 98KB/s constant speed.

0 Ratings