Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
hegartymark
Beginner
Message 1 of 6

Charged for calls I did not make

Hi,

I was wondering if someone would be able to help me here. I have seen similar posts where a moderator was able to help resolve the issue.

I am  a BT customer with broadband, tv package and landline. 

I am getting frequent outgoing calls appearing on my bill that I am not making. They all are made to the same number and happen every day for the past few months at the same time every day. I am being charged around 34p per call.

I have called 1470 17070 and confirmed that the number read out is my landline number so I don't think it is a crossed line. The number that appears is 01279421718. I have called it from my mobile and just get a strange tone when I do so I don't think this is even a valid number. 

I have used the online messaging service and they refunded me for my previous months bill for these calls but it continues to happen and I need to find a permanent solution.

I would appreciate any help anyone can provide on this.

Thanks

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 6

Re: Charged for calls I did not make

Welcome to this user forum.

Do you have anything else plugged into your phone line, like an alarm unit or Sky box?

0 Ratings
hegartymark
Beginner
Message 3 of 6

Hi Keith,

I have an alarm unit plugged in but the alarm company do not recognise this number. I don't have a sky box or anything else plugged in.

Thanks

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 6

@hegartymark wrote:

Hi Keith,

I have an alarm unit plugged in but the alarm company do not recognise this number. I don't have a sky box or anything else plugged in.

Thanks

They may not know all of their remote testing numbers. This can happen when alarm companies merge.

Most units make a test call every day, which would explain the charges.

If you know the exact time it calls, you could take you phone off the hook, and listen to see if it calls out.

If it cannot connect, it will probably keep trying, any you will hear it on the phone.

0 Ratings
XRaySpeX
Recognised Expert
Message 5 of 6

That strange tone could indicate it is a "call to the internet, information and paging services, local, national and all non-geographic numbers used to dial up ISPs, other non-voice calls" which are excluded from allowed 01/02/03 nos. for which you are charged, but I know not what.

Expert
Message 6 of 6

A search on Google came up with this identical problem for 01279421718

16 Apr 2014 - this number is being called from my phone line 2 -3 times a days when no one is in and costing 6p per call. no one is making these calls they are being called by themselves.

Unfortunately there was no response to the query

0 Ratings