cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Catteni
Beginner
Message 1 of 15

Charges for exceeding Broadband limit

I've just received my latest quarterly bill and find I'm being charged £5 for going over the 40 Gig limit on my Infinity 1 account for November last year.

The email that was sent out at the time said that my usage for that month was 44 Gig.

If BT charge for usage over the limit in 5 Gig increments at a cost of £5.30 surely I needed to hit 45 Gig before incurring additional charges.

Curious   

0 Ratings
14 REPLIES 14
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 15

Re: Charges for exceeding Broadband limit

The charge is if you exceed the limit and it is per 5gb or part thereof. So up to 5gb is £5.30but 5.1gb will cost £10.60

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
conrad
Recognised Expert
Message 3 of 15

No you get charged immediately. If you then went over 45gb then a further £5.30 would be payable. ie >40 but <45 £5.30 then >45 but <50 £10.60 and so on.

0 Ratings
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 15

So by your reckoning anything between 40Gb and 44Gb should be free. Where as anything over your limit incurs a charge. Anything between 40Gb and 45Gb incurs a £5.30 charge and anything between 45Gb and 50Gb incurs a further £5.30 charge and so on. They are not selling you 5Gb they are billing you for exceeding your limit.

0 Ratings
pottyperson
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 5 of 15

Or to put it another way, if they didn't charge you until you reached 45Gb the limit wouldn't be 40 but 45.

They used to charge £1 per Gb but changed to blocks of 5 presumably (a) to act as a deterrent and (b) to make an extra few bob.

--
You can click the thumbs up icon below this message if you think it was helpful.
0 Ratings
Message 6 of 15

Was it your first time over the limit? If so, you should not have to pay anything, because BT informed customers unequivocally until Jan 21 2014 that “Charges will apply from the second month you exceed your allowance and will be shown on your BT bill.”

See this thread:
https://community.bt.com/t5/Bills-Packages/Broadband-Excess-Usage-charges-when-do-they-apply/td-p/11...

0 Ratings
gg30340
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 15

Flo, I think you will find that that will not apply for all the reasons already given. A post on a forum by an employee will not be regarded as a policy or terms and condition that the company can be held to. Imagine if an employee posted that from now on all bills will receive a 75% discount. Will the company be held to that? It was a post that was correct t time of posting but has since been superseded. I'm sure you could find many such posts if you searched.

Message 8 of 15

@gg30340 wrote:

Flo, I think you will find that that will not apply for all the reasons already given. A post on a forum by an employee will not be regarded as a policy or terms and condition that the company can be held to. Imagine if an employee posted that from now on all bills will receive a 75% discount. Will the company be held to that? It was a post that was correct t time of posting but has since been superseded. I'm sure you could find many such posts if you searched.

gg303040, that is illogical. By that argument, every sticky on the BTcare forums posted by a BT Staff member is not official policy and should carry a disclaimer to the effect that the views expressed by Mods are not to be taken as official BT policy.

For instance, this sticky at

https://community.bt.com/t5/Other-Broadband-Queries/Broadband-Talk-Withdrawal-Updated-on-14th-Dec-20...

Hi Folks,

We stopped supplying BT Broadband Talk to new customers in January 2011 and we have posted recently that BT planned to withdraw the service in 2013.  Just to update you, this date has been deferred. The BB Talk service will be withdrawn, but not till after 2013.  Please be assured we will let you know before the service is removed.

Thanks,

Sean
BTCare Community Manager

Are we not expected to believe that and trust in it?

If so, how do we know which stickies and comments made by the Mods are valid and which are not?

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 15

And that's all I'll say in this thread, or I'll be accused of going off-topic Smiley Wink

I was just alerting Catteni, a newcomer, to the situation.

0 Ratings
DS
Distinguished Guru
Message 10 of 15

If I may.....

One will find that a majority of BT Care Forum Mod Team posts are to be seen as the latest possible stance on a product or service because half the time the ruddy website(s) are always playing catch up. I have, over the years, flagged up various issues whereby the mod team has checked in to them and then the website(s) are then updated. So with that in mind, I'd of trusted the BT Care posts on here. It must also be said that ANY posts from the mod team would of been posted with the consent of management.

So, as I leave this thread I'll say one thing, BT keep up and put a disclaimer on ALL BT input on this site that "this post was correct at the time of posting, but check BT.com for the latest on this subject" - that should solve further head aches

(glad I'm on unlimited).

-+-No longer a forum member-+-