cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
haesman
Message 1 of 7

Charging extortionate cancellation charges is not sustainable for BT in the long Run

It seems that BT are trying to maintain an income from ex customers who are leaving in droves because of the high charges they are making. Price hikes All over the services, In the medium term these practices will cause BT to go down the tubes. Customers will not return. Also sending a threatening letter to a leaving customer if he does not pay the charge they will refer to a credit agency to ensure you get a black mark. This is the most dire marketing strategy I have come across! Really inspires one to stay with wonderful BT, In my view they are f*$£ed and wont be long before we see chairmen fired etc etc Good luck BT see you in court!

These are the measures of a doomed desperate giant and not a market leader.

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Inge_Jones
Aspiring Contributor
Message 2 of 7

Re: Charging extortionate cancellation charges is not sustainable for BT in the long Run

I have just been told for the first time about the £30 cancellation charge - I am not inside my contractual minimum period this is just a standard 30 day notice cancellation of my Broadband.  I read the contract at the time, and I have reread it again (I received no paperwork, the entire ordering process was online) but can find nothing that would have alerted me to the existence of this condition.   It's certainly made sure that I don't order any new services from BT...

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 7

Re: Charging extortionate cancellation charges is not sustainable for BT in the long Run

0 Ratings
Inge_Jones
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 7

Yes, that page does make it very clear.  However, that page was not linked to from the terms and conditions page I was linked to when I had my initial order confirmation.  I made the contract by means of live chat in July 2010.  The BT rep I spoke to when I cancelled today said he found the page quite hard to find, also, as I insisted he find the link for me, and it took him a fair while 🙂   I don't think I am the only person by a long way to be surprised by this charge, while everyone knows about contract periods and early cancellation fees, this clause seems to be not publicised as loudly.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 5 of 7

@haesman wrote:

It seems that BT are trying to maintain an income from ex customers who are leaving in droves because of the high charges they are making. Price hikes All over the services, In the medium term these practices will cause BT to go down the tubes. Customers will not return. Also sending a threatening letter to a leaving customer if he does not pay the charge they will refer to a credit agency to ensure you get a black mark. This is the most dire marketing strategy I have come across! Really inspires one to stay with wonderful BT, In my view they are f*$£ed and wont be long before we see chairmen fired etc etc Good luck BT see you in court!

These are the measures of a doomed desperate giant and not a market leader.

I take it you believe they should just let the customer NOT pay then. If you know of ANY company that lets you do that, then please give us some corroborative details. Smiley Wink

toekneem

(EASBF)

0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 7

The only time you pay the charge is if you cancel service if you use a MAC CODE and transfer to another provider which the majority do there is no cease charge
0 Ratings
haesman
Message 7 of 7

The point was that it is very annoying that they automatically assume you do not intend to pay and feel they need to threaten you. Seemed a poor way of persuading you to stay with them.
0 Ratings