cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
zandrjh
Message 1 of 8

Charing Exchange and BT Infinity

I've looked at the list of staged upgrades for BT Infinity to see when my exchange (Charing in Kent) is due to be done and it's not even on the list!  Why is that?

I am very disappointed with my broadband speed - the maximum I am told I can have is 2MB but most of the time we are lucky if we get 1MB.  We recently moved to this house and even though we've not moved very far, we've changed exchange from Ashford to Charing and apparently we're on the outskirts of this exchange so we were hoping that Infinity would come along and be the answer but if our exchange isn't even listed...?

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
st-clares
Aspiring Expert
Message 2 of 8

Re: Charing Exchange and BT Infinity

Same where I live I am on the Catterick North Yorkshire exchange.

I doubt at my age I will ever see Fast Broadband.

I recently saw a list of exchages that would soon be enabled for fast broadband, over 2/3 were south of the midlands.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
zandrjh
Message 3 of 8

Does anyone from BT actually read these posts or answer any customer services emails that are sent?

Am I hoping against hope that someone may have an answer to this question?

BT pretty much have us caged as there is no alternative to their landline broadband service, which isn't really broadband as I don't regard access of less than 1MB to be broadband but I'm paying for a broadband service.

So, is Infinity going to be science fiction?

0 Ratings
chris6273
Recognised Expert
Message 4 of 8

You guys are lucky to even be considering getting FTTC. I live down in the South West on the Nether Stowey exchange (WWNETH). Although I get great speeds the exchange serves villiages around 4 miles away and some of my buddies down there only get around 0.8 meg. Funny thing is, we don't even have an estimated date for ADSL2+ while there is an exchange in town (around 8 miles away) which has ADSL2+ and is a Market 3 exchange. My exchange is a Market 1 exchange with NO LLU and only serves around 1450 lines. Pretty stupid don't you agree?

Like this post? Give it a Star :D. If this post answers your question, please Mark it as the Accepted Solution.
0 Ratings
zandrjh
Message 5 of 8

The really annoying thing is that we moved house around Christmas and so changed from the Ashford exchange - which was okay, 2MB or thereabouts - but that one is to be upgraded etc, especially as there is a lot of building work going on, the high speed rail link, trying to attract more people, blah, blah.  The BT South East person was on the news a little while back going on about the wonderful plans for Ashford and the South East but the villages around here served by the other exchanges such as Charing are not mentioned at all.

We are lucky if we get 0.5MB and sometimes, I have to simply walk away while something is downloading and go back half an hour later - how is this broadband?  Maybe I've been spoiled having lived in London previously and having great broadband over the years but I then lived in Cape Town for three years and the broadband service over there is in early stages, the speeds are quite slow, the service isn't good etc BUT I was getting faster broadband there than I am now with the so-called, self-professed market leader of a first-world country!

0 Ratings
chris6273
Recognised Expert
Message 6 of 8

I used to live in London (Right next to Heathrow infact) then we moved out to a village in the countryside because we have a house down here. (We still have the other house which is equipped with cable) Just think of the difference we would have if we went back to living there.

We switched houses when we had around a half a meg package on cable (quite a while ago) and I was thoroughly excited when I heard that we would be getting 8mb broadband (16x faster). HAHA. That didn't last long did it? Soon after that I heard 20Mb available on Cable. Then 50Mb. You can imagine how angry and disappointed I was. Well it looks like I will not be getting anywhere near to that speed where I live now lol. So much for the country being 'connected' when BT are not paying attention to the South West.

Next time you see the list of exchanges being upgraded for FTTC take note of the exchanges in the South West. There's only about 5-8 per list. They are using favouritism (Yes you read correct) on London in my opinion.

Like this post? Give it a Star :D. If this post answers your question, please Mark it as the Accepted Solution.
0 Ratings
Eamdad
Aspiring Expert
Message 7 of 8

London is where they will get return in the investment more effectivly, i dont see no fav going on here... its just a buisness strat.

List of exchanges to be upgraded 2010 atum to 2011summer can be found here:
(Scroll down until yuo see a huge list)
http://www.thinkbroadband.com/news/p/2.html

0 Ratings
chris6273
Recognised Expert
Message 8 of 8

Only 6 in the South West lol

0 Ratings