Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Iben1905
Beginner
Message 1 of 17

Chromecast won't cast full screen BT Sport from my Laptop

Go to solution

I live in an area that doesn't have infinity and had been watching BT Sport through Freeview which BT are no longer providing. BT have offered Chromecast as the solution for me to continue to watch BT Sport. 

I have set Chromecast up on my laptop and casting works OK for everything but BT Sport!

Chromecast will cast BT Sport from my laptop whilst it is a small picture in the centre of my computer screem, but when I switch the sport transmission to full screen it works OK on the computer but the picture cast to the tv remains the same as before except the rectangle that contained the sport transmission is now blank.

If I do a similar process for casting from say Youtube or the BBC iplayer then the enlargement to full screen works OK for casting from the computer to the tv.  BT Sport is the only trasmission I have used that I've had this problem.

I've already looked through the forums and others with a similar issue have suggested using the Beta experimental option within the Chromecast extension in the Chrome taskbar and selecting full screen before connecting into Chromecast.  I've tried that and all that happens is that a circle keeps going around indefinitely showing the computer is having trouble processing the request.

Does anyone have any suggestions for how to overcome this problem?

0 Ratings
16 REPLIES 16
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 17

Re: Chromecast won't cast full screen BT Sport from my Laptop

Go to solution

this may have something to do with it  https://community.bt.com/t5/Watching-BT-Sport-via-the-App-or/Chrome-to-eventually-drop-Silverlight-p...

try using IE or Firefox

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Iben1905
Beginner
Message 3 of 17

Go to solution

IMJolly thanks for your reply, but I don't think you have understood my problem. 

I have no problems with watching BT Sport through the Chrome browser on my laptop.  My problem is all about casting the laptop screen to the tv using Chromecast when I switch to full screen on BT sport on the laptop.

The Google Chromecast dongle that plugs into the back of the tv is only compatible with Android, iOS on tablets/smartphones and the Chrome browser on a pc.  IE and Firefox are not compatible browsers with Chromecast, which is understandable given its marketed by Google, so your suggestion isn't an option.

0 Ratings
royben
Beginner
Message 4 of 17

Go to solution

I am having the same problem Got chromecast so that I could watch football on spare TV but whenever I maximise screen it works on laptop but TV screen goes black. Not techie minded at all so struggling. 

0 Ratings
zulu17
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 5 of 17

Go to solution

As Google  support pages currently sats

https://support.google.com/chromecast/answer/3228332?hl=en-GB

The significant majority of web content can be cast. However, sites that use plug-ins such as as Silverlight, Quicktime & VLC are not supported, and may result in a lack of picture or sound.

Personally I can cast BT Sport  using a Windows 7 desktop Pc using the  Beta Cast screen/window (experimental) option but cannot on a lower spec Windows 7 laptop. So my suspicion is that you may achieve reasonable casting on high spec PC/Laptops but not on others. Not seem much evidence of development of that experimentatal Beta Cast option for several months si I wouldn't be very hopeful of much change.

Given that I can cast successfully  via the IOS  app (Ipad) and andoid app (mobille phone) I have alternatives.

0 Ratings
Iben1905
Beginner
Message 6 of 17

Go to solution

RE:Zulu17

I've actually tried 3 different laptops.

An old laptop running on Windows 7 and two up to date laptops with i3 and i5 processors running on Windows 8.1.

In terms of casting to the tv through Chromecast there is no difference, whichever laptop I use the tv picture won't show the full screen picture when it appears on the laptop.

As I mentioned in my original post BT have not updated my local exchange and have explicitly provided me with Chromecast as the only way of watching BT Sport when they withdraw it from Freeview.

Seems odd BT should be recommending a mechanism that isn't actually supported.

0 Ratings
umpire
Distinguished Guru
Message 7 of 17

Go to solution

@Iben1905 wrote:

As I mentioned in my original post BT have not updated my local exchange and have explicitly provided me with Chromecast as the only way of watching BT Sport when they withdraw it from Freeview.

Seems odd BT should be recommending a mechanism that isn't actually supported.

To my knowledge BT have never claimed that BT Sport will work on Chromecast using the web browser player. You need to use the iOS or Android app.

Did the letter imply it would work with the web browser player? 

0 Ratings
umpire
Distinguished Guru
Message 8 of 17

Go to solution
0 Ratings
Iben1905
Beginner
Message 9 of 17

Go to solution

Re umpire.

Google, the designers of Chromecast, say it is meant to work with laptops as well as tablets and smartphones.

https://www.google.co.uk/chrome/devices/chromecast/

BT said the same when they provided Chromecast free at the end of last year.

Even in the BT Help link you provided the first line says:

Chromecast is a thumb-sized media streaming device that plugs into the HDMI port on your TV. Set it up with a simple mobile app, then send your favourite online shows, movies, music and more to your TV using your smartphone, tablet or laptop.

Note the word laptop at the end of the list.

It is only the help FAQs that follow on your link that talk exclusively about smartphones and tablets.

The instructions that BT sent with the Chromecast device also included how to set it up with a laptop where it adds a Chrormecast extension to the Chrome browser.

As I said in my original post Chromecast works fine from my laptop/pc even with BT sport until you press the full screen key then the BT sport programme goes blank on the cast on the tv.  If I use other websites such as Youtube switching to full screen works fine.

0 Ratings
umpire
Distinguished Guru
Message 10 of 17

Go to solution

I'm well aware that Chromecast will generally cast content from laptops as that is one of its key uses, however as zulu17 pointed out earlier it doesn't support certain specific web browser plug-in technologies. One of those plug-ins is Microsoft SilverLight (Google are the ones stating this). For that reason I doubt there is anything much BT could do to get the BT Sport web player working fully with Chromecast other than dropping the use of SilverLight or hoping that Google will add support for it as possibly suggested by the Beta Cast also mentioned by zulu17. This means that BT don't currently state anywhere that the BT Sport web player will work with Chromecast. I'm sure that the help pages could make this a bit clearer though.

Why can you view it when not in full screen mode?

Well I don't know the answer but one possibility is because when not in full screen mode Chromecast is merely mirroring whatever is on the OS screen or browser window. In that situation it doesn't know or care what technology or player was used to generate the screen picture. However with the BT Sport web player in full screen mode Chromecast might need to interact directly with the player and that is where the incompatibility between SilverLight and Chromecast becomes apparent. Just a guess. It might also only be a problem in certain situations (combinations of hardware, OS version, browser version, SilverLight version) but I doubt BT would spend time investigating if Google just state that SilverLight isn't supported.

0 Ratings