Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
billysiv
Beginner
Message 11 of 17

Re: Chromecast won't cast full screen BT Sport from my Laptop

Go to solution

I have exactly the same problem. I bought the Chromecast dongle specifically so that I could watch the rugby on BTSport.

The advertising information for the Chromecast specifically mentions BTSport as an option for all devices.

0 Ratings
zulu17
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 12 of 17

Go to solution

@Iben1905 wrote:

Re umpire.

Google, the designers of Chromecast, say it is meant to work with laptops as well as tablets and smartphones.

https://www.google.co.uk/chrome/devices/chromecast/

BT said the same when they provided Chromecast free at the end of last year.

Even in the BT Help link you provided the first line says:

Chromecast is a thumb-sized media streaming device that plugs into the HDMI port on your TV. Set it up with a simple mobile app, then send your favourite online shows, movies, music and more to your TV using your smartphone, tablet or laptop.

Note the word laptop at the end of the list.

It is only the help FAQs that follow on your link that talk exclusively about smartphones and tablets.

The instructions that BT sent with the Chromecast device also included how to set it up with a laptop where it adds a Chrormecast extension to the Chrome browser.

As I said in my original post Chromecast works fine from my laptop/pc even with BT sport until you press the full screen key then the BT sport programme goes blank on the cast on the tv.  If I use other websites such as Youtube switching to full screen works fine.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Google link you quote

https://www.google.co.uk/chrome/devices/chromecast/

has a link entitled

Learn more about casting

That  link  goes to

https://www.google.co.uk/chrome/devices/chromecast/learn.html

which has a 

Cast from a laptop section

where it describes How to cast a website to your TV, including photos, video and music

that lists

System requirements:

• Windows 7 or later, Mac OS X 10.7 or later or Chrome OS
  • Mirroring web video requires a recent laptop with above OS release or later and strong Wi-Fi
  • Silverlight, Quicktime and some other video plugins not supported

It also states 

you can cast videos from YouTube  with an * leading to a further comment

* These websites are optimised for Chromecast. Casting other websites is currently a beta feature.

So the detail of what Google's Chromecast is suitable for and what limitations there are specified on Google's site 

0 Ratings
Iben1905
Beginner
Message 13 of 17

Go to solution

Re: Umpire

Thanks for taking the time to explain things so thoroughly.

My context is that BT have offered me Chromecast as the only way to continue to view BT Sport when they withdraw BT Sport from Freeview.  My local BT exchange doesn't support Infinity now or anytime in the foreseeable future and although my BT broadband speed is adequate for most applications it is slow by modern standards.  I don't have Sky nor Virgin. I also don't have a tablet nor a smartphone, and BT aren't offering to give me one!

I am aware that there are issues with Chromecast and Silverlight which BT Sport use for their player, and that neither BT nor Google are especially motivated to do anything about it either by Google solving their Silverlight issues or by BT moving to an alternative player.

I am also well aware that Chromecast has an experimental full screen Beta option within the Chromecast extension in the Chrome browser.

Others have used this Beta version successfully to cast full screen BT Sport.

However, in my case I can't get the Beta version to work.

So I was hoping there was someone out there who had a handle of what might be preventing it from working on my set up.  I have  BT hub and have tried laptops running on both Windows 7 and Windows 8.1.

0 Ratings
zulu17
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 14 of 17

Go to solution
0 Ratings
zulu17
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 15 of 17

Go to solution

Just had a go om my laptop and desktop  (both Windows 7) - my Desktop wil cast full screen at the highest quality but with some audio issues. My laptop will only cast a stuttering picture at the lowest (480) quality setting.

With the laptop I can get good quality  (a few audio issues)  by connecting it via HDMI  cable to the tv.

0 Ratings
Iben1905
Beginner
Message 16 of 17

Go to solution

Re: Zulu17

Thanks for your persistence in trying to help me out.

The link you provided goes to a desription of using the full screen option within the Beta version of the Chromecast extension in the Chrome browser.

This is something I had already tried before making my post to this forum, and for some reason it doesn't work for me.

What I get is my laptop locking up with a circle going around forever, suggesting my computer is having difficulty processing an instruction, which I eventually get fed up of waiting on and close down the Chrome browser to get out of it.

0 Ratings
Iben1905
Beginner
Message 17 of 17

Go to solution

RE: UMPIRE

Although an academic point in that it doesn't help me cast BT Sport, you were rather insistent that BT had never said Chromecast would cast BT Sport from a pc.

By chance the other day I came across the original leaftlet that BT provided when they supplied me with Chromecast last November.

This BT leaflet with a code PHME 72507 at the end is entitled BT Sport Chormecast and Section 5 is called "Using Chromecast with the Chrome Browser on Mac and PC" which starts "The other way to watch BT Sport on your tv is by casting one of your Mac or PC browser's tabs to your Chromecast TV", and then goes on to describe installing Chrome and the Chromecast extension and even shows an example of entering full screen mode to watch BT Sport.

At the end the leaflet does mention the quality of the video stream will be better from a smartphone or tablet.

I have reluctantly come to accept that BT no longer have any interest in getting it to work properly on a pc, and there won't be a solution to my original question.

0 Ratings