cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
davidramsay
Aspiring Expert
Message 1 of 85

Cirencester Exchange Accepting Orders but there is NO information on how to do this

I live in the Cirencester exchange area (SSCIR) the OpenReach side - http://www.superfast-openreach.co.uk/where-and-when/ - indicates that it is accepting orders but there is no indication as to how you can order (through BT).

All I get is a check on the number which indicates it isn't currently available (target was 30th September 2012 and then end of September it moved to 31st December and now it is 31st March).

I wish to place an order how do I do this?

0 Ratings
84 REPLIES 84
jac_95
Guru
Guru
Message 2 of 85

Re: Cirencester Exchange Accepting Orders but there is NO information on how to do this

Hi davidramsay,

Your local exchange maybe accepting orders for FTTC Fibre broadband but it doesn't mean everyone can get it.

To be able to get Fibre broadband such as BT Infinity your green telephone street cabinet will also need to be upgraded with a new FTTC Street Cabinet. Not all of these street cabinets in an exchange area are upgraded. Or if your on a EO (Exchange Only) Line then the exchange needs to be FTTP/H compatible.

You can check the BT Wholesale Database for an estimated date on when you maybe able to get FTTC broadband. If the BT Wholesale Database checker doesn't meantion anything about WBC FTTC broadband for your number and/or address then it may be that your local Street Cabinet isn't currently on the Openreach Fibre Roll out plan.

Also if there is a Yellow pin near your address when entering your postcode in the http://www.superfast-openreach.co.uk/where-and-when/ website then it may tell you that there is a delay .

It can also take about 2 or 4 months for all upgraded FTTC cabinets in the exchange area to become active.

Once BT Infinity is available to your address/lanldine number then you can oder it online by going to http://bt.com/infinity

Unfortunately BT Retail (a communication provider/ISP who operates this forum) does not have much say as to when and if you will be able to get FTTC or FTTP/H based broadband such as BT Infinity.

You can register your interest for Fibre Broadband such as BT Infinity by going to http://www.superfast-openreach.co.uk/expression-gen.aspx 

Please bear in mind that in some cases it may not be possible to provide FTTC broadband in areas due to: 

• Your phone line may be connected directly to the telephone exchange and not to a local street cabinet - (Exchange Only Line [EO] )
• Your line may be too far from the local street cabinet to have a stable FTTC broadband service such as BT Infinity service.
• Your local street cabinet may not be suitable for fibre optic cables.
• We haven't yet got the council's planning permission to do the necessary work at your local street cabinet.
• Your home may not be suitable for fibre optic cables.
• Your landlord may not have agreed to the fibre infrastructure being provided in your building (for example if you live in a flat).

You can keep checking the BT Wholesale Database and BT Infinity website for the most upto date information as these are updated regularly.

The openreach When and Where website is: http://www.superfast-openreach.co.uk/where-and-when/

Also look out for these FTTC Cabinets on/near your street/area. If you see one near your old cabinet then you maybe in luck for Fibre broadband.

fttc_cabinet_medium-3.jpg

**The Fibre-Optic Broadband Rollout is being managed and done by Openreach for all communication providers/ISPs.
BT Retail (a communication provider/ISP) has nothing to do with the rollout of fibre broadband.**

Cheers

jac_95 | BT.com Help Site | BT Service Status
Someone Solved Your Question?
Please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
Try a Search
See if someone in the community had the same problem and how they got it resolved.
davidramsay
Aspiring Expert
Message 3 of 85

Re: Cirencester Exchange Accepting Orders but there is NO information on how to do this

The cabinet is installed, my post code search - http://fttc-check.alc.im/results.php?postcode=GL71PJ - indicates accepting orders.

If the exchange is accepting orders then I should be able to order, if not then they MUST give a reason.
0 Ratings
john46
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 85

It is possible you are on a different cabinet the accurate check issuing your phone number
0 Ratings
pippincp
Sage
Message 5 of 85

@davidramsay wrote:
The cabinet is installed, my post code search - http://fttc-check.alc.im/results.php?postcode=GL71PJ - indicates accepting orders.

If the exchange is accepting orders then I should be able to order, if not then they MUST give a reason.

Not so, an exchanged is marked as accepting orders when 10 Cabs have been commissioned and released by Openreach.

In postcode search is only an estimate as postcodes can be served by different cabs.  Your cab is marked as part of the deployment. There is no indication it is live yet.

Using a telephone number here may give a better result.

jac_95
Guru
Guru
Message 6 of 85

I have checked the address on the postcode of GL71PJ on the BT Wholesale database and it currently says "Your cabinet is planned to have WBC FTTC by 31st March 2013"

This is a estimated date and could also be a "placeholder" date as it is at the end of the month. 

There can be many reasons for the delay.

Some problems that can cause delays are:

1) Local council planning permission rejected or delayed.

2) The cabinet is not suitable for FTTC broadband

3) There isn't a adequate power supply

4) Health and safety issues

5) No ducting or inadequate ducting

plus lots more.

The build of the fibre broadband infrastructure in the area isn't always easy and can be very complex.

Individual FTTC cabinets that have been tempted to be installed but have caused a delay or there is a technical problem can and will be skipped if an unforeseen problem occurs, eg collapsed ducting, failed planning permissions etc. Those problems that can be resolved will be at a later date.

Hope that helps,

Cheers

jac_95 | BT.com Help Site | BT Service Status
Someone Solved Your Question?
Please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
Try a Search
See if someone in the community had the same problem and how they got it resolved.
davidramsay
Aspiring Expert
Message 7 of 85

I repeat my original question as it HAS NOT BEEN ANSWERED;

"I live in the Cirencester exchange area (SSCIR) the OpenReach side - http://www.superfast-openreach.co.uk/where-and-when/ - indicates that it is accepting orders but there is no indication as to how you can order (through BT).

All I get is a check on the number which indicates it isn't currently available (target was 30th September 2012 and then end of September it moved to 31st December and now it is 31st March).

I wish to place an order how do I do this?"

0 Ratings
pippincp
Sage
Message 8 of 85

Cirencester is accepting orders for those cabinets which have been completed, commissioned and releaswed by Openreach.

Until that happens to your cabinet you cannot place an order.

0 Ratings
davidramsay
Aspiring Expert
Message 9 of 85

So where do I find out the issues associated with MY cabinet?
0 Ratings
davidramsay
Aspiring Expert
Message 10 of 85

a PS in that case if I enter my t.phone no then I should not be told 'Accepting Orders' as that is plainly total 'b......s', truth is far better than fiction!
0 Ratings