cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Guru
Guru
Message 71 of 85

Re: Cirencester Exchange Accepting Orders but there is NO information on how to do this

Hi davidramsay,

As to the dates changing without explanation, hopefully the NGA Openreach department will give you a more of an insight as to what is happening. Please update us when they do.

You also say "...but those people who's frustration can be seen in my posts are on similar or less speeds as you and in different postcodes but on the same exchange."

Yes your local exchange CIRENCESTER is accepting orders for FTTC broadband such as BT Infinity but your street cabinet (pcp) needs to be upgraded with a FTTC cabinet first and then activated and become live before properties on that cabinet can order FTTC broadband such as BT Infinity.

You say people at "different postcodes but on the same exchange" , they maybe on a different pcp to you so their cabinet may not even be on the Openreach superfast fibre rollout plan, or they may have a later estimation date for it to become live.

I would advise them to check their landline number/address on the http://dslchecker.bt.com/adsl BT Wholesale Database.

I would also tell them that not everyone will be able to get  FTTC broadband such as BT Infinity due to the fact that not every cabinet (pcp) is upgraded with a FTTC cabinet.

They can register their interest with Openreach by going to  http://www.superfast-openreach.co.uk/expression-gen.aspx 

Patience may not be your best skill, but as already said these things take time and are done in phrases/stages. 

Hopefully you will get a reply from NGA Openreach but please update us. 

**The Fibre-Optic Broadband Rollout is being managed and done by Openreach for all communication providers/ISPs.
BT Retail (a communication provider/ISP) has nothing to do with the rollout of fibre broadband.**

Cheers

jac_95 | BT.com Help Site | BT Service Status
Someone Solved Your Question?
Please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
Try a Search
See if someone in the community had the same problem and how they got it resolved.
Contributor
Message 72 of 85

Re: Cirencester Exchange Accepting Orders but there is NO information on how to do this

Aspiring Expert
Message 73 of 85

thanks cotswoldconnection - but;

Sorry, you're not currently able to get BT Infinity. This may be because your area has not been enabled yet, or your individual line does not support superfast broadband. However, you can still get BT Broadband. Please choose from one of the packages below.

... this takes me back to the question why, when, whats the delay tho!
0 Ratings
Contributor
Message 74 of 85

Hi David

Sorry for the delay in replying, I will try to answer as best as I can to why? when? and what's the delay?

First the why? Cirencester exchange area covers a large area and some customers live a considerable distance from the exchange. I will use Duntisbourne Abbotts as an example. Fibre to the cabinet does as it says and gets superfast speed as far as the cabinet and after that relies on the copper cable to get from the cabinet to the customer. In the case of Duntisbourne Abbotts the cabinet is way back down near  Stratton. Upgrading this cabinet would have no benefit to the residents of Duntisbourne as the signal would be lost by the time it got there.

When is a bit more difficult to answer..This also would depend on your location within Cirencester exchange area as not all cabinets will be upgraded. From the message from BT it would appear that there are no current plans to upgrade your cabinet.

The delay could be due to a number of things including my answer for why? Cabinets are upgraded when there is a significant registration of interest so as long as you don't live somewhere like duntisbourne and enough people show interest then the sooner the cabinet will hit the trigger point for upgrade.

0 Ratings
Aspiring Expert
Message 75 of 85

Thanks cotswoldconnection, I was going to hold off posting the answer from NGA as I am seeking a little clarification, but anyway here it is;

there are 2 cabinets 16 and 16/1, from what I understand I am connected to cabinet 16, the reply in full excepting postcodes is;

"We are experiencing delays deploying this cabinet as we need to excavate and install new ductwork so we can provide the fibre optic cable from the exchange to the cabinet.

This work is expected to be completed by the end of next week, however, ground conditions generally are slowing progress with work.

We do expect this cabinet to be live to accept orders for broadband around the beginning of March, subject to finding no more engineering difficulties.

I have checked premise in Siddington and although some are capable of getting fibre broadband some are in excess line distance from the main cabinet (16) which means that they will be unable to order the product.

The effective distance that fibre broadband technology works at is around 1.2Km from the cabinet. The line distance from the main cabinet to the sub cabinet is over 850m which will also mean that those that can order fibre broadband will receive relatively slow speeds."

The clarifications being requested are;

Which cabinet is "this cabinet", as 16/1 was the last mentioned I assume it was that one but being a software test engineer 'assumption' makes "an ass of u and me"!

Secondly as 16/1 is fed from 16 then surely a single fibre cable from 16 to 16/1 as a repeater would provide the necessary amplification (probably the wrong word in this case as it is light we are talking about).

I await with interest for the clarification and I will report back.

0 Ratings
Sage
Message 76 of 85

Cabinet 16 would be "this cabinet". The fibre is run from the exchange to the Fibre cabinet. There are copper connections from there to the PCP,s (cabs 16 and 16/1). Running a fibre from 16-16/1 would be pointless as there is nothing to connect it to at either end.

The distancd of over 850m has to be taken into account when considering the max (copper line) of 1.2Km for Infinity or any other FTTC product.

Cab 16/1 would need it's own fibre cabiet as well to effectively supply higher speeds and the investment costs may be prohibitive.

Aspiring Expert
Message 77 of 85

Thanks pippincp - Cabinet 16 is the PCP Cabinet, NGA confirmed.  The fibre cabinet is on the opposite side of the street.

However, the reason that they cannot extend is "We do not commercially have regeneration capability for long line lengths at this point in time".

This implies that it is not impossible but ...

0 Ratings
Aspiring Expert
Message 78 of 85

An update,

I received an answer to my latest complaint from NGA as the date had once again moved back 3 months from 31 March to 30th June.

NGA indicated that the cabinet was released by the project manager on the 22nd February for testing, they advised that this would take between 10 and 15 days.

Today (2nd March) I visited the BT site to check if I could order and surprisingly I could.  The installation is booked for the afternoon of the 11th March.

Hmm, now why would they say 30th June and then it becomes available within the previous time period (31st March), maybe I am too suspicious but seeing is believing so I will wait until the engineer departs with the install complete!

0 Ratings
Guru
Message 79 of 85

The dates are only placeholders, the dates were moved back to the whole project planning time due to complaints to ASA. The cabinets 99% of time go live before the dates estimated.

If this helped you please click the Star beside my name.

If this answered your question please click "Mark as Accepted Solution" below.
0 Ratings
Aspiring Expert
Message 80 of 85

well my package arrived today, no delay there, I was expecting an HH3, but they got that right since I already have one!

However, I was surprised to find a Cat 5E cable and an intro brochure/fault finding guide for Infinity, why do they need to send this out surely it should be part of the FTTC modem, ah well.

0 Ratings