cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
DebsMaz
Beginner
Message 1 of 9

Cisco IP Phone stopped working with New BT Smart Hub Installation ?? Can't hear anyone ??

I have a Cisco IP Phone SPA525G in my HomeOffice which has worked perfectly well for a number of years.  I signed up to another 2 year stint and Infinity 2 and Installed over the weekend the new BT Smart Home Hub (Think it is a Hub 6?)

My IP Phone connects across the Internet to my office and I am seen as an "extesion" to the office.

Since then, my IP phone will dial a number and people can dial my number but I can't hear anyone the other end.

Have phoned BT and held on for 30 mins both times, and there seems no-one who can advise as to why my phone no longer works !-

Desperately need help and advice as I have a very important conference call this afternoon at 5pm and without this fixed I cannot be on this client call ....

Any help appreciated.

Thanks

Debs 

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 9

Re: Cisco IP Phone stopped working with New BT Smart Hub Installation ?? Can't hear anyone ??

0 Ratings
DebsMaz
Beginner
Message 3 of 9

Re: Cisco IP Phone stopped working with New BT Smart Hub Installation ?? Can't hear anyone ??

Thanks, I tried that earlier and turned off Smart Set-up and have just rebooted again to make sure.

I can dial a call from my SIP and it rings, but when the person the other end can't hear me !!!

Maybe there are some settings that need changing and where / what needs changing is the question !!!

Many thanks in advance xx

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 9

The HH6 is not very good when it comes to configuration options as its only intended for domestic use, which is why BT cannot offer any support for anything other than general Internet use and BT Vision.

You would be better off getting hold of a  third party router which has more configutation options.

Even the one described on this link Cheap reliable replacement for home hub. may work, as it has better configuration options.

It has ALG (Application Level Gateway) settings which support SIP, and are enabled by default, so it has a good chance of working without any changes.

Page 46 of the user manual describes this.

Screenshot-2017-10-23 TD-W9970(EU)_V2_User_Guide_1482286003688y pdf.png

Which BT home hub were you using before?

0 Ratings
DebsMaz
Beginner
Message 5 of 9

It was a home hub 4.0 Type A - and worked fine! - but having signed up to the New Infinity 2 which is nice and fast they send you a new Router and we are having trouble pushing the signal around the house, so they said this would be much better !!!

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 9

@DebsMaz wrote:

It was a home hub 4.0 Type A - and worked fine! - but having signed up to the New Infinity 2 which is nice and fast they send you a new Router and we are having trouble pushing the signal around the house, so they said this would be much better !!!

Take a read of my edited last post, as it may be of help, especially if you get get one locally. Configuration is very easy, and you may find it has better wireless coverage than the HH6.

The HH6 is not that good for wireless anyway, as with all the recent home hubs, they only have internal wireless aerials. You need a router with external aerials.

0 Ratings
DebsMaz
Beginner
Message 7 of 9

Thanks for your help Keith .... does the other Router you are suggesting work with BT Vision .... having taken what you  have said into Account, why have a new router that can't perform like the old one !!! - After 3 hours, I am now on hold for some BT Tech Team that is chargeable and guess what " we are very busy at the moment, and will connect your call asap " .... yet I am being charged a fortune to use this number !!! ..... evidently they hold the key on how to configure the SIP settings .... Pulling my hair out now !!!! 😞

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 9

I do not have a HH6 so I am not sure whether there is such a configuration, perhaps someone with a HH6 can comment on whether there are any specific settings like ALG for SIP?

The router I mentioned did seem to have settings for IP TV, as I have one here that I am playing around with. I am only on ADSL and do not have BT Vision, so I cannot comment on whether it works.

Other people on this forum have this router, and nobody has mentioned that it does not work with multicast.

0 Ratings
Devon_Dave
Distinguished Guru
Message 9 of 9

Just to jump in with a quick question, does this Cisco IP phone connect wired or wireless to the hub?. Most IP phones I have ever worked with plug into a LAN port and then a PC plugs into the phone( well in most large office environments)
(If I have helped you in any way please click the thumbs up. Thank You)
If I have solved your Issue please click the "Mark as accepted solution" button.
0 Ratings