cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Message 1 of 14

Compatibility issues between WII and Infinity

I moved to BT from Talk Talk and the service was great, no connection problems my Wii worked fine, all was right with the world.  Then a mean sales man convinced me to upgrade to BT Infinity which hasn't worked properly for 4 months, after endless phone calls to India and a visit from a really nice engineer my connection seems fine.  Laptop connects no problem, consistant speeds of 19mps.  However my Wii still won't hold a connection, on line gaming is a joke and trying to run BBC iplayer is pointless.  Can anyone tell me if Bt Finite works with the Wii, I had no problems with normal BT Internet? 

My next step is to tell BT to take finite back and return my old package as I'm paying for a promise which they aren't delivering.  So fed up I could $***@^"?

0 Ratings
13 REPLIES 13
Highlighted
Expert
Message 2 of 14

Re: Compatibility issues between WII and Infinity

I am on HH2 and Infinity and the WII works perfectly for me.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 3 of 14

My wii works perfectly well with infinity, it connects through wifi, streams bbc i-player, are you sure you have it setup correctly

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 4 of 14

Any luck yet with your wii.  Cos mines a pile of poo since I switched.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Message 5 of 14

Hi Mickeymmc and welcome

Try this, it worked for me using a BT Home Hub, though I'm not lucky enough to get Infinity

1. Access Wii Settings and select "Internet" from Page 2.
2. Select "Connection Settings" and choose the connection file you currently use.
3. Select "Change Settings," and click the right blue arrow twice to reach "Auto-Obtain IP Address."
4. Click on "No" and select "Advanced Settings."
5. Now, click in the "IP Address" field to enter an IP address, enter: 192.168.1.100 (check you're not already using it!).
6. Once the IP address is entered, select "OK."
7. Select the Subnet Mask box, then enter 255.255.255.0 and select "OK."
8. Select the Default Router box. You will need to enter the default gateway address for your router, enter: 192.168.1.254

Note: The Wii will save the IP Address as 192.168.001.100 and the Default Router as 192.168.001.254

9. Select "Confirm" but do not select "Save."
10. Tap the right arrow to reach the page "Auto Obtain DNS."
11. Select "No" and then "Advanced Settings."
12. Click into the "Primary DNS" field and enter: 192.168.1.254
13. Click into the "Secondary DNS" field and enter: 192.168.1.254
14. Select "Confirm," and then "Save."
15. Click on "Save" and then "OK" to perform a connection test.

Note: The Wii will save the Primary DNS and Secondary DNS as 192.168.001.254

Hope this helps.

-+-No longer a forum member-+-
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 6 of 14

Thanks for your help DS. I tried it but it doesn't work. I contacted BT technical help they can only help me with broadband and know nothing about consoles needing to remain on the same channel. They directed me to Nintendo technical services who said it was a problem with the home hub channel hopping.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 7 of 14

@Mickeymmc wrote:
Thanks for your help DS. I tried it but it doesn't work. I contacted BT technical help they can only help me with broadband and know nothing about consoles needing to remain on the same channel. They directed me to Nintendo technical services who said it was a problem with the home hub channel hopping.

You can go into your home hub http://bthomehub.home/  to stop channel hopping.-

advanced settings, wireless and move the wireless channel from "automatic" to a "specific channel number ie "6".

The Hub will then constantly transmit on this channel number.

I'll search for more info and add as an edit.

EDIT.-

A way of detecting a clear channel to set the Home Hub to etc in this post.- http://community.bt.com/t5/BT-Infinity/Slow-Speed/m-p/318457#M17425

--------------------------------------------//--------------------------------------------
Please Click On any Text in Blue as that automatically links to information.

PC (NDEGR)

0 Ratings
Message 8 of 14

My Wii worked perfectly with total broad band. I  was also persuaded to switch to Infinity and the Wii has not worked since.

Will not be renewing the contract.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 14

@dell70 wrote:

My Wii worked perfectly with total broad band. I  was also persuaded to switch to Infinity and the Wii has not worked since.

Will not be renewing the contract.

There is no reason at all that the Wii should not work. If its an old Wii, then I was told that they would only work with WEP wireless encryption and not the more secure WPA.

If you originally had a home hub 1, that used WEP, so that may be the reason that it worked.

You can change the home hub 3, so that it uses WEP instead of WPA, and the Wii may work again.

You must remember to remove any existing wireless connection settings on the Wii, before you try to connect again.

If you have a new Wii, then that does support WPA, but the same thing applies, remove any existing connections first.

There is some help here http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/11265/~/how-to-connect-your-nintendo-wii-to-your-bt-h...

Let me know if you still have problems.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 14

Infinity cannot be "incompatible" with any internet device. FACT.

BT Infinity is purely a brand name, all it is, is an internet connection. There may be router compatibility issues, but definitely not a service compatibility issue.
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
0 Ratings