Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 1 of 18

Compatibility with old (non Smartphone) phones

Go to solution

Are the new BT Mobile SIM card deals compatible with old traditional (non Smartphone) phones? In my case a Sony Ericsson K750I - Yes I mean old!

Thank you.

0 Ratings
17 REPLIES 17
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 18

Re: Compatibility with old (non Smartphone) phones

Go to solution

@Anonymous wrote:

Are the new BT Mobile SIM card deals compatible with old traditional (non Smartphone) phones? In my case a Sony Ericsson K750I - Yes I mean old!

Thank you.

If it takes a standard or mini SIM card, then it will work. The standard BT SIM has the mini one inside, and can be removed.

It works in a Nokia 3310.

RobbieMac
Message 3 of 18

Go to solution

@Keith_Beddoe wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Thank you.

If it takes a standard or mini SIM card, then it will work. The standard BT SIM has the mini one inside, and can be removed.

It works in a Nokia 3310.<<<<< That's an old one Keith! Smiley Happy

0 Ratings
Message 4 of 18

Go to solution

Further to the above [including the old and bold mobiles mentioned !] I cant think that there would [ever] be any use of the inclusive 4g data allowance as AFAIK there is no functionality built into the older phones for such data to be used.

Texts, calls etc should be fine.

AQ.
"Welcome to Royston Vasey - You'll never leave."

0 Ratings
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 5 of 18

Go to solution

My Sony Ericsson K750I does have the ability to download and send email and very very basic internet. Would this be recognised as usage of the data allowance or would I end up paying an additional cost because being an old phone it was perhaps using a different protocol for data than a modern smartphone?

I would also be interested to know if the billing for BT Mobile gets put on your regular monthly or quarterly BT Landline / Broadband bill etc or if it is billed completely separately?

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 18

Go to solution

If it has basic functions,then it will be using data on the 2G connection (GPRS). It will still use your allowance, but very slowly.

Billis appear on your phone account on a separate section of the bill, but you can see how much of your allowance you have used, set limits, and see any extra charges, plus lots of other useful things.

0 Ratings
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 7 of 18

Go to solution

I phoned BT Mobile department to order but they would not accept on the basis that the BT Mobile SIM deal would not work on my old phone. The guy even looked up the spec of my Sony Ericsson K750I and said "definitely not" so a bit of conflicting information here.

How do I get this fully clarified? Any advice much appreciated.

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 18

Go to solution

Perhaps they realised it could not get 4G Smiley Wink

Perhaps they are trying to sell you a new phone?

If its already on a mobile network, then I cannot see it would make any difference.

See http://home.bt.com/tech-gadgets/phones-tablets/3g-vs-4g-which-phone-network-is-right-for-you-1136397...

"Can I use any phone with BT Mobile?
All types of mobile phones should be compatible with BT Mobile. You'll get the most out of BT Mobile if you have a smartphone, but just about any phone will do."

0 Ratings
Message 9 of 18

Go to solution
I agree with Keith.
AQ.
"Welcome to Royston Vasey - You'll never leave."

0 Ratings
Anonymous
Not applicable
Message 10 of 18

Go to solution

I phoned BT again and spoke to a different person who assured me the BT Mobile SIM would work in my old phone. I have ordered the £5 month deal.

Hopefully everything will be ok.

Thank you to everyone for your help.

0 Ratings