cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mjt
Beginner
Message 1 of 5

Compensation?!

Please can someone tell me if BT really don't have to pay compensation or penalties any more??  We were struck by lightening back in June and have had no phone or internet since then...because BT didn't want to fork out the money to repair the cables...instead they tried to repair bits of the cable and in the end...3 months later realised that they would have to do the whole cable...they were so incompetent...traffic lights would turn up but not Openreach...then Openreach would turn up but no traffic lights...and the real icing on the cake for me was when they all turned up on the allotted day but didn't bring enough cable!

Anyway, they have just credited me £53.70 for the inconvenience...and my bills for the period without any usage were £95...this just doesn't seem right or fair...it's no wonder they don't bother to repair faults quickly as they don't appear to have to pay any penalties...If anyone can tell me if they are supposed to pay penalties, or if it really is just a line rental credit for the period when the line was out of service then I'd appreciate knowing!

Thanks

0 Ratings
4 REPLIES 4
john46
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 5

Re: Compensation?!

Hi

I am sorry to see you are having problems with your BT Service

I suggest you contact live chat at this link they should be able to help you

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/contact/c/2902/?s_intcid=con_intban_sanda_contact_us_chat_from_forums

0 Ratings
Ectophile
Distinguished Guru
Message 3 of 5

They are supposed to refund you the line rental and other fixed fees for the period when your service wasn't working.

There's also a standard compensation of £10 for a missed engineer visit.

That's aboit it.

0 Ratings
mjt
Beginner
Message 4 of 5

Thanks for that...that's what I thought...it's no wonder they don't bother to repair lines quickly when they don't have to pay any penalties! 

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 5

Remember thats its Openreach not BT Retail that look after the lines. The level of service depends on how much BT Retail pay Openreach for the wholesale line rental.

Business customers normally get priority, as they pay BT retail more money for their services.

The price that Openreach charge, for the same level of service, has to be the same to all service providers. I suspect there is very little profit margin on the actual line rental itself, so paying a lot of compensation would not make sense.

0 Ratings