cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
chatom08
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 9

Complaints

To whom do I complain when a member of the Executive Complaints Department ignores me? To add insult to injury, her automated out-of-office reply tells me not only when she will be in but also that she "looks forward to reading (my) message".

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
Lindse
Aspiring Contributor
Message 2 of 9

Re: Complaints

Hi

How did you raise your complaint? On 2 separate occasions I have put BT on notice that the communication marks the start of the grace period required for complaints to be resolved, before escalating the complaint to the Ombudsman. This takes time, but puts BT on notice that you mean business. Previously I have written; the last time, I raised a complaint using the  online form and followed up with an email. In both cases the issue in question was resolved only because I raised a formal complaint. You could also try speaking to the migration team and threaten to leave BT; or to accounts and tell them that you will no longer pay for your service unless the complaint is responded to, as you are paying for a substandard service (the equivalent of buying goods that are not fit for purpose). Good luck.

0 Ratings
chatom08
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 9

Thanks for the reply.  My question actually comes in the wake of a previous extended complaints process, anyway. I was a victim of "slamming" and my fight to overcome the difficulties and delays in getting reconnected eventually led me to contact with a member of the Executive Complaints Department.  It didn't necessarily speed up the process but it clarified other details and earned me some "compensation".  Since then I have tried to find out from her who actually instigated the "slamming" and that's what is being ignored.  Hence my question on the Community website.  I'm not sure that it is worth all the effort of invoking the complaints procedure all over again, but it is yet another example of how little BT seems to care about its customers' concerns.

0 Ratings
Dean007
Recognised Expert
Message 4 of 9

Hi @chatom08

It is hard for anyone on the community to give advice on a complaint being handled by ELC team, but they are aware (ELC)  it is normally the last step before the ombudsman can interviene so I am not sure they would be purposely ignoring you. In some instances, a company may not give information if an investigation is taking place or if an individual is named.

If they have offered compensation or a good will payment then they have accepted the issue, if you have agreed to accept the payment then you have more or less concluded the complaint. Whilst I can appreicate the frustration I am not sure why finding out why the incident happened now will help or what difference it will make.

0 Ratings
chatom08
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 9

Thank you for your reply, Dean 007. Though my original complaint has been resolved I would simply like to know who "slammed" me.  If it was another broadband provider I would then lodge a complaint with that company.  I would also be pretty sure never to ask to move to that company in the future.  If it was an individual I would also like to know so that I can try to find out why. I just want to know who has caused me over 3 weeks of serious inconvenience.  If that information is not available I would have to cut my losses, but failing to respond in any way to my inquiry is inconsiderate and ill-mannered.  I have learned over the past month that BT has set ways of doing things which seem both inflexible and laborious to me. If someone could cut through all the bureaucracy and give straight answers to simple questions then maybe customers like me would feel considerably less disgruntled.

0 Ratings
Dean007
Recognised Expert
Message 6 of 9

@chatom08

I would send an email asking the person dealing with your complaint to make contact. Ask them who it was, alternatively you could send an subject access request.. see if that prompts them to tell you!

0 Ratings
chatom08
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 9

Thanks, Dean007.  Emailling her hasn't worked so far, so I might try a subject access request.  I had to look that up, but I see it's rather like a Freedom of Information request. I'd already checked about FOI, but it seems as if that is not applicable with BT, so a subject access request sounds a possible alternative.

0 Ratings
chatom08
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 9

Re: Broadband Cancelled Without Consent

Update 08/08.  My latest bill arrived last night and, guess what, it included a charge of £49 for the (re)connection of my broadband despite the fact that I was told by the meber of the Executive Complaints Department that I would not be charged.  It took me four attempts by online chat and telephone to complain to someone, but at last I got through to a real person who has cancelled the payment.  It won't show up until my next bill, however, so watch this space!

0 Ratings
DanielS
Message 9 of 9

Re: Broadband Cancelled Without Consent

Hi @chatom08,

I'm sorry to hear about your experience. The person that you spoke with would have credited your account for the amount of the activation charge. You will notice the credit on your next bill. If you have any issues please contact us here or get back in touch with the person who was helping you get reconnected as it's related to the same thing.

Thanks for allowing us to correct our mistake and get everything back up for you.

Have a great day,

DanielS

0 Ratings