Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
brightfuture
Beginner
Message 1 of 6

Complete confusion from BT and Openreach are faceless

Go to solution

Well, hello all.

My first post here and it's a kind of praise and a moan.

Let's do the praise first then. I have Infinity at home and it's brilliant.

OK, now the gripe.

I'm moving into a business premises, and asked BT if I could have a residential line there as the phone will get very little use. No problem they said as there are residential lines in the flats above where I will be.

This was all agreed and then I asked for Infinity. That's where this whole sorry tale starts.

According to BT's availability checker, the postcode says no, but a line check on an existing line in the premises says yes.

I happen to know the local BT engineer personally and he told me that it is available for my address and that he has installed it in numerous places around that vicinity. The FTTC cabinet is actually at the entrance to the estate and is no more than 100 yards from the premises. 

BT blame Openreach for not 'updating' them. But you can't contact openreach unless your or someone else's life is in danger! 

I had a lengthy debate with a foreign chap who rudely told me it was common sense that if the postcode checker says it's not available, then it isn't available.

How rude to insult my intelligence. 

The cabinet is there, it's active, there are fibre users connected to it!

The BT engineer who I know actually does the infinity installations. He did mine at home. He knows. He told me that he's coming up against this all the time. 

Why don't BT know this?

Why don't BT kick Openreach where it hurts... repeatedly.... until it gets resolved.

The Engineer also told me of one road where number 37 had infinity (37mb) but their neightbout at 35 can't have it according to BT and they are 50 feet nearer to the cabinet.

For my address, why does their postcode checker say no and the line test say yes?

The line in question is ceasing on the 4th November and BT will not confirm whether my new line will support Infinity.

Why not?? If the one that's in there does.....

Please tell me who it is that doesn't know their left from their right?

I've been having this debate with BT now for more than three weeks.

People say they will call back and don't. 

If it wasn't for the fact that I really do need a fast connection, I'd run a mile from BT to TalkTalk, Virgin... anyone who can at least be sure of what they are advising me.

According to the person I spoke to a couple of days ago, they said that they cannot place the order with their supplier (Openreach I presume) if the postcode checker says no. 

This is a ridiculous situation that I now have the BBC interested in (I work for them, so it's fairly easy to get them to listen). 

Any help or comments would be appreciated.

Oh, and on the FTTC cabinet, there is a sign telling passers by to get Infinity..... just try it, I guess you'll have a 50-50 chance. 

0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Distinguished Guru
Message 2 of 6

Re: Complete confusion from BT and Openreach are faceless

Go to solution

Hi brightfuture, Welcome to the forums.

You say you have done a line check from another phone in the same premises and that it gives the okay.

There is always the possibility that the other line and your new one actually go to different cabinets(unlikely I know but possible).

If you are sure of your facts, and from what you say I believe you are, you should maybe contact the mods, who should be able to check for you.

If you fill in this form: http://bt.custhelp.com/app/contact_email/c/4951 with a link back to your post for ref, the mods will get back to you. It can take up to 3 days (more in busy periods) for them to contact you, normally via phonbe or email.

Hope it all goes well.

toekneem

(EASBF)

0 Ratings
brightfuture
Beginner
Message 3 of 6

Go to solution

Thank you so much for this information.

I have now filled the form and sent my enquiry.

Here's hoping this all gets sorted out.

Thank you again for that information.

Andy @ Bright Future

0 Ratings
brightfuture
Beginner
Message 4 of 6

Go to solution

Message to all who have helped. 

This goes out to David Moon too, who has kindly emailed me having looked into this issue.

Though the problem persists in Openreach not keeping BT up to date... i.e.  the postcode checker still says no.

I am delighted to say that there are some good people in BT. You just seemingly have to dig deeply to find them.

David, you are one such person, and so are the team in Scotland who have been nothing but helpful, courteous and have phoned me every single time there has been an update with my order.

I was given numerous activation dates and then the run around that I could, then couldn't have Infinity.

Finally, the good fellows at BT came through. Not only did they fast track getting the line in for me, it took only two more days to get the Infinity installed.

An ex-service chap came this morning to install it. Couldn't have been any nicer if he was Mr. Nice from Niceville.

I'm getting 39998kbps so I'm really happy.

And, moreover, the whole thing has been done a day earlier than the original order estimated (which disappeared somewhere).

Well done BT.

My gripe still stands though with Openreach. I thing BT as a wholesaler for Infinity could be losing out due to Openreach keeping them in the dark.

But BT?  A HUGE pat on the back for you guys for coming through  in the end and making this work for me.

Mery Christmas!!

Andy

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 5 of 6

Go to solution

Glad there is a happy ending for you.Smiley Happy

Great team the modsSmiley Wink

toekneem

(EASBF)

0 Ratings
PC
Recognised Expert
Message 6 of 6

Go to solution

@brightfuture wrote:

.....An ex-service chap came this morning to install it. Couldn't have been any nicer if he was Mr. Nice from Niceville.

I'm getting 39998kbps so I'm really happy.

Mery Christmas!!

Andy

http://community.bt.com/t5/BT-Infinity/BT-to-recruit-200-military-personal-in-FTTC-rollout-operation...

Great feedback.

On all points.

--------------------------------------------//--------------------------------------------
Please Click On any Text in Blue as that automatically links to information.

PC (NDEGR)

0 Ratings