Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Danoh
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 7

Completely mystified by near-zero speed with Infinity

Go to solution

Connected only a week ago, I'm at my wit's end with Infinity.

My Hub-3 & Openreach modem are on my main phone terminal, which is fitted with BT's own engineeer-installed global I-plate accelerator: away from wires, lights and such, and in a place of least overall obstruction. The network is secured. No one else is using the connection. I have changed wireless channels several times, using several different & uncommon channel numbers.

So why is my modern and high-spec desktop and even during hours of slow uptake, getting only between zero and 1.5Mb DLoad speed from Infinity? This is all as my little Samsung netbook—which is sitting right beside the desktop—is getting everything Infinity can throw at it.  I was getting twice that speed with Sky!

The same is true whether my desktop is connected via wireless-n OR cat5e.

I've tried everthing BT says I should do, yet I remain at a crawl.

Any advice out there? I'm completely mystified.

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Webby
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 7

Re: Completely mystified by near-zero speed with Infinity

Go to solution
Can you run a test at www.speedtester.bt.com and post the results here please? It'll give us information on what your IP profile is and we'll be able to help further from there 🙂

Ensure the test is ran when connected via Ethernet please.
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
0 Ratings
pippincp
Sage
Message 3 of 7

Go to solution

Have you tried switching the LAN port on the HH3 as there have been some hubs with faulty ports.

0 Ratings
Danoh
Aspiring Contributor
Message 4 of 7

Go to solution

Thank you for replying. (I had to install Java first.)

It's now peak usage time. I'm assuming I would be better running the tester, say, close to midnight?

0 Ratings
Webby
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 7

Go to solution
Nah it shouldn't matter. I never see any utilisation problems at any time of the day. Even if there were you'd only expect to see a slight reduction, certainly not to the extend of the speeds you're currently getting.
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
0 Ratings
Danoh
Aspiring Contributor
Message 6 of 7

Go to solution

Uh, No, on the switching the LAN port. (Hadn't thought of that.) Will try now—but given the problem exists with wireless-n as well, I don't expect a result.

0 Ratings
Danoh
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 7

Go to solution

I can't say I know what I just did, exactly, but, on foot of everything else I tried it had something to do with trying a new LAN port on the modem as recommended AND updating the driver on my wireless-n adapter. (I thought I'd already done that.) With those done and now the two are running side-by side, my speed has picked up considerably. (I know. It doesn't make sense, but ...proof... pudding.)

Thanks for your help. (I'll rund this for a few days and get a sens of overall performance before I draw any final conclusions.

Thanks again.