Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 10

Computer freezes after start-up

Go to solution

My laptop often freezes shortly after (or sometimes during) start-up. I have to switch mains power off. I didn't associate this with my BT connection until someone phoned me (unsolicited) from BT and seemed to describe my problem and offered to help fix it.

Unfortunately, this person (presumably from a BT technical dept/call-centre) wasn't a great communicator, so I declined his help (I also thought it odd that he'd know about my problem without my having informed anyone at BT. Does BT monitor connections for such problems somehow?).

The problem itself: Doesn't seem to re-occur after I've started up again - ie it only happens once per daily online session (I switch the BT hub on at mains and wait for 4-blue-light connection *before* starting up computer in the morning; I switch off BT hub after switching off my computer for the day).

I'd be grateful for any clues on a) the problem itself; b) whether BT does monitor such things & offer help unsolicited. Many thanks.

0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 10

Re: Computer freezes after start-up

Go to solution

BT wouldn't know you were having problems with your laptop so no accepting the help was right

for the best from your broadband you should leave your router conencted 24/7 and that will allow line to give you best possible connection.  the amount of power it consumes is negligible

if you left router on then I expect laptop would connect whenever you booted it up

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 10

Go to solution

Thanks for that suggestion. Although I'm in the habit of switching everything off, it'll certainly confirm whether that's what's causing the problem. On the BT phone-help, it's possible he was talking about my connection cutting off regularly rather than a problem specifically with my laptop (although he suggested that something did need altering in my laptop software/settings). That he may have been an illegitimate caller is possible, although I think it's unlikely given the way I protect my phone privacy.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 10

Go to solution

if you read some of the forum posts you will see similar types of phone calls trying to gain access to pc/laptop - none good

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 5 of 10

Go to solution

Couldn't agree more with imj. My policy is never, ever enter into any kind of business with someone who approaches me especially if it's not face to face. It's possible that this might mean missing out now and then but much more likely to avoid being caught.

Can you try another laptop to eliminate the problem being with yours?

--
You can click the thumbs up icon below this message if you think it was helpful.
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 10

Go to solution

I also agree with imjolly and pottyperson. Never let anybody take control of your computer or ask you to do anything on it if it is from an unsolicited phone call or email.

As regards to your laptop not starting correctly it could be that you have a load of things running at start-up that are not needed and this will be slowing your laptop down. If left alone does it eventually start?

If you download and install CCleaner you can run the cleaner part which will delete all the temp files and unneeded things on your laptop. After that run registry cleaner. 

Once you have done that click on Tools then Start-up and look and see what programs are starting when you start up your laptop. Have a look inside each tab, Internet Explorer etc.  Make sure that only the ones that are needed are there. If you are not sure then come back to the forum for advice. 

Link to CCleaner. Use free version.

http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner/download/standard

Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 10

Go to solution

Thanks again for the feedback. It's a complete sudden freeze, and I regularly make sure my start-up programs are bare minimum & not problematic. I'll certainly decline any interference/access to my computer by stranger on phone. He knew I had BT broadband & that there was problem of sorts involving sudden cut-offs. I just wondered if anyone had heard of similar (it was as if BT - assuming it was legit - was aware of the problem in general & monitored it).

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 10

Go to solution

I would say that it was not legit just a lucky guess by the caller. BT do not monitor users connections. If you think back you may have been asked leading questions that allowed him to lead you to believe that he was from BT.

I don't think your start up problems are associated with your broadband but you could try starting up with the wireless switched off or if you are using a cable connection disconnect the cable and see what happens when you start up.

Have you tried leaving it when it freezes to see if it recovers?

Highlighted
Guru
Message 9 of 10

Go to solution

@BMD: I suggest you try starting your laptopn in safe mode, and seeing if it ever freezes.  It could be driver issues.

Also, check that all your drivers are up to date.

Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 10

Go to solution

One thing confirmed by the responses is that this isn't normal BT behaviour (unsolicited monitoring, unsolicited technical help). Which does suggest the caller wasn't legit - I agree.

I'm trying leaving hub switched on permanently - no prob with freezing this morning. I'll also try the other processes of elimination suggested. I think that's really about all I can do, so I'll leave thread open for a day or two, then mark it as solved.

Thanks for your help - much appreciated.

0 Ratings