cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 1 of 6

Computer wont connect to internet but phones do

Having a very strange issue. My computer which is connected via ethernet and the laptop which is wireless can no longer connect to the internet however my ps4 and phones can. 5 days ago we lost dial tone on the landline due to an outside fault and this connection issue happened then. The fault was fixed today and the landline is working however still having connection problems. Ran the BT line tester and it still thinks the fault is there. Anyone came across this before?
0 Ratings
5 REPLIES 5
Highlighted
Sage
Message 2 of 6

Re: Computer wont connect to internet but phones do

Windows 10 by any chance?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 3 of 6

On the laptop yes but W7 on my computer
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Sage
Message 4 of 6

Not the recent w10 upgrade then.

Open a command prompt window and try the following 2 commands

ipconfig /release

ipconfig /renew

note there is a space between ipconfig and the forward slash in both cases.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 5 of 6

So i got the computer working. Laptop on W10 is still a no, what issues are there with the W10 update.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 6

There was a problem with W10 updates. Microsoft said that if you "restart" your computer it should fix it. Use the "restart" option not "shut down" then a re-start.

A few things to check if that doesn't reslove the problem:-

It could be that your computer has IPv6 selected. Try disconnecting it as follows:

Select Start

In the search field type.ncpa.cpl and press enter.

In the new window right click on your wireless network connection and select properties

In “This connection uses the following items” section remove the tick beside Internet Protocol Version 6 (TCP/IPv6) then press OK

Left click on Internet Protocol IPv4, click properties . Check the options to obtain IP address and DNS server address automatically.

Once done try and connect to internet.

If that doesn't help it might be that your TCP/IP stack has got corrupted. To reset it, open a command prompt with administration access, and type the following commands

1. Reset WINSOCK entries to installation defaults: netsh winsock reset catalog
  2. Reset IPv4 TCP/IP stack to installation defaults. netsh int ipv4 reset c:\reset-4.log
  3. Reset IPv6 TCP/IP stack to installation defaults. netsh int ipv6 reset c:\reset-6.log

Restart your computer try connecting.

If that did not help open the command prompt with admin access again and type in this command: sfc /scannow

It will check the Windows files and will fix any problems it finds.

0 Ratings