Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 1 of 10

Concerns about bt and infinity

hi

i used to use BT some years ago for broad band, but i found that it wasnt overly reliable, and the support was non existent yet it was one of the dearest.

ive recently noticed the rollout of infinity and also the fact that my exchange is sheduled for dec 31st 2010

ive since seen its now changed to march of 2011 and if i try to contact BT it just goes thru a generic menu system that is an utter waste of time and you cant actually speak or write to anyone as it goes around in circles

can anyone re assure me that bt are actually any good or that this "inifnity" that you cant find out anything about and keeps slipping back is any good.

i ask cos at the moment i see that same old rubbish BT service in general that ISNT encouraging me any any way to swap over to them.

0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 2 of 10

Re: Concerns about bt and infinity

I think to be honest ISP's are all much the same when it comes to customer service

0 Ratings
Expert
Message 3 of 10

Hi loonboy,

To be honest I don't think you will can an answer to your questions from the MOD's on this Forum about RFS date of Infinity as I've asked the same question several days ago and sent a PM to them and to date I've had no reply. To be perfectly honest I'm not sure who can give you an answer, Point in fact being that mine like yours had a RFS date of 31st December 2010 and then that changed to March 2011, then December 2011 and now it tells me that BT have no plans to upgrade my exchange in the foreseeable future!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Now bearing in mind the new DSLAM's are installed and have been connected by fibre to the exchange and my Cab has been linked to the new dslam. Now the Infinity site tells me using Post Code & Address checker it's still Dec 2010 yet the phone checker gives the above, Also the new update issued by OpenReach (15th Dec) also tells me Dec 2010.

When I rang Infinity Sales they told me the same as the phone checker but gave the following reasons,

Lack of Fibre cable in UK, Lack Of New Dslam's Cab's and lack of staff, When I told him that I had all that installed, he just said no sir you have not as there are no plans yet to upgrade your exchange.

Work the above out for on your own and make of it what you will.

I just don't understand how a company like BT can't even know what work they have done and give us a correct answer, to me they are acting like the KGB. Most prob's this post will be removed but there you go.

Cheers

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 4 of 10

My exchange showed be as available as from DEC2010 for weeks.

Then I checked one afternoon in November and it said available, so I ordered.

Keep checking the date, you never know it may just pop up as available.

Robert

Peterborough

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Expert
Message 5 of 10

Don't switch to BT. Technical support useless. If your speed slows down they won't do anything. If you tell them something they won't listen. The list goes on and on...

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If my answer was helpful, please give me a star by clicking the star on the left hand side.

Thank you.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 6 of 10

@ loonboy,

Hi, see my post about my present experience with BT Infinity.

On current performance I recommend you steer clear for now.

John

JamJam11

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 10

Just tried their service for the first time using email. Took 24hrs to respond. When they responded, they ignored my complaint/problem and pointed me to some standard FAQ type page which is on the some general topic, but not what I was asking. 

They also had an automated response saying I could reopen it if still a problem. 'Reopen' - no idea how to reopen an issue sent via email. Looks like a waste of time to me.

I wish Id never joined Infinity. Wish Id stayed with my normal broadband - its actually faster most of the time and a fair bit cheaper.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 8 of 10

having tried 3 other ISP's in my time away from BT, I can say that BT are no worse than anyone else

in terms of the product itself, I used to have less problems with my BT broadband than I subsequently had with the other 3... I had some problems early on , but once they were fixed I had 4mb on an "upto 8mb" line, living in a smallish village for 3 years solid (in fact my parents still do so that is going on 6 years) with no problems

just before I moved out from my parents the 80gb limit they then had started causing me problems, so I moved to other ISPs that didn't have that limit... however every ISP I tried I had multiple occaisions per year where there were problems and it routinely took weeks to get it fixed

you do have to be quite beligerent with BT, and you just have to know that if the guys in India start being difficult, ask to speak to the options team to talk about leaving BT, then ask to talk to Tier 2 support, they are far more likely (albeit from others have said not 100% guarenteed) to call you back when they say they will

the current state of play with Infinity is that it is a new product, there are bound to be some teething troubles... it would help a great deal if BT were more honest about this and kept people updated via their website (however rather than admit they are having problems with their flagship product they are choosing to lie to people about "isolated" problems)

When Infinity is working well, it is **bleep** good.  When it has problems, these problems seem to last ages and are awfully dificult to get anyone in BT to say they will actually look at.

I only switched to BT Infinity because every other ISP blamed the problems I was having with my line on the 4.5km that I am from the exchange... fiber to the cabinet should eliminate those problems and although Virgin keep putting letters through my door telling me I can get their service, however when I call them they tell me I can't, so BT was my only other option

hopefully BT will get their Infinity act together so that I don't have any more need to call them

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 9 of 10

thanks for the replies guys

to update you all im having infinity installed on monday

ill update you as to how it goes

what sort of cableneeds to be run to get it from the master socket to my living room ?

thats where i want the hub

as i want a neat install i thought id run the cable myself prior to the enginnners visit, what cable is it ?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 10

The engineer will run all the cables for you they do a very neat job its all cat5 cables
0 Ratings