Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 1 of 9

Concerns since upgrade from ADSL2+ to BT Infinity 2

Go to solution

With ADSL2+ I consistently had a download speed (wireless n) of 10M - 13M and an upload speed of 0.7M

I upgraded to Infinity 2 and was told I should get a download speed of about 50M & upload of about 11M

However, the router has always had a synch speed a bit below 40M download & 20M upload (installed about 2 months ago)

Via Ethernet the download speed is usually about 34-36M download & about 8M Upload

So first question is 'do you think my download speed has been capped ?'

Also, with a wireless n connection the speed swings about from 5M to 32M download, and when at the lower end the upload speed is often faster at around 7M.

So second question is 'any ideas what is going on there?'

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings Star on the left-hand side of the post.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
Highlighted
Guru
Message 2 of 9

Re: Concerns since upgrade from ADSL2+ to BT Infinity 2

Go to solution

synch speed a bit below 40M download & 20M upload  By synch speed do you mean the profile, as reported by BT speedtester?  Or have you got an unlocked modem and checked the real sync speed?  Can you post the more exact profile, and sync speed if you have it?  To get the profile: Either http://speedtester.bt.com/ and choose the ‘ADSL and Fibre diagnostics’ option or Tom’s BRAS checker http://windows.mouselike.org/be/?DoAction=BrasChecker which isn’t a speedtest but gives profile.

The speed estimates are usually not too bad, but an estimate of 50 and getting 40 is not impossible, and is consistent with your measured speed of 34-36Mbps.   However, 40 is a suspicious figure.  They clearly know you are on Infinity 2 otherwise the upload would not be so high, but there could have been a mistake that set your download more appropriately for Infinity 1.  If your profile is exactly 38.71 (I think that is the correct figure) it is quite likely.  If that is the case, you'll probably need to contact the mods at http://bt.custhelp.com/app/contact_email/c/4951 to get it fixed.

On the wireless, you are talking with both devices staying put?  Changes of that amount seem more than they should be, and odd the upload is not so affected.  The HomeHub isn't a particularly good wireless router, but it isn't terrible and shouldn't give variations that big. (Others will disagree and say it is terrible, or worse, and you are to buy a new one at once.)

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 3 of 9

Go to solution

Ok sorry for delay but had to go away for a bit.

Using BT Speedtester and Ethernet connection to HH3 I just got;

DL speed of 33.98M & an IP Profile of 36.32

&

UL speed of 7.61M & an IP Profile of 20M

Wireless is always slower & between between (DL) 5M (that's slower than when on ADSL2+) and 25M depending on time of day but UL stays much more consistent at nearer 7/8M irrespective of the DL result.

When the engineer checked speed using my laptop (wireless) after installation he got just over 40M but I have never reached 40M since that day (about 2 months ago) using either wireless or Ethernet.

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings Star on the left-hand side of the post.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Expert
Message 4 of 9

Go to solution

as things stand youll never get faster than 36 down and 20 up
can you reboot your homhum and then do another test to find your new ip profile

you can get this from either http://speedtester.bt.com/and choose the adsl & fibre to the cabinet (fttc) diagnostics button

or the be bras checker http://windows.mouselike.org/be/?DoAction=BrasChecker which just gives the profile

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Guru
Message 5 of 9

Go to solution

And another test you might do to check out upload is to run the speedtester http://mcslhr.visualware.com/myspeed/myspeed_line_capspeed.html.  That gives a more accurate upload test than the BT tester.  There are situations where it gives double the BT speedtest value, and other situations where they are almost the same.

That won't help with you download speeds, I'm afraid, but might help make things a little clearer.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 6 of 9

Go to solution

Ok here goes;

After HH reboot & using the BT speedtester the IP Profile (DL) is 36.31M download achieved (Ethernet) 34.43M & UL IP Profile is 20M and upload achieved 7.97M

also using the tester suggested by Sjtp the DL speed was 35.1M and UL was 8.11M and consistency of service 99%

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Expert
Message 7 of 9

Go to solution
i think thats the maximum your gonna get
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 9

Go to solution
i think the same the best your line can support
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 9 of 9

Go to solution

Yep reckon you guys are right .......... thanks for help

I understand from local chap that their is a pillar between cabinet (where fibre terminates) and our road too !!

0 Ratings