Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 10

Condescending advisor rang re. Bill complaint

Go to solution

I have just had the most condescending advisor on the phone regarding my complaint about being charged so much for going over the data allowance on my phone. I wasn't even aware there was a data limit that could be set and BT had set it without my knowledge at £100.00, which I would NEVER have set it at. But apparently as no other mobile company has a data cap (which is bull) I should suck it up. I complained about using 1.5gb in 4 minutes on my phone when BT Broadband went down for a week (which it turned out WAS BT's fault) but the analogy I was belittled with is that I wouldn't expect a car manufacturer to pay for taxis if the car ran out of petrol. I **bleep** would if it broke down though, which is exactly what the Internet, to which I pay BT for, did 

What was the point of BT calling me except to make me feel like **bleep** and basically say "Tough, get over it, even though our service was diabolical and it was our fault"."

0 Ratings
9 REPLIES 9
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 2 of 10

Re: Condescending advisor rang re. Bill complaint

Go to solution

BT has left a very nasty taste in my mouth...

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 10

Go to solution

How do I escalate a complaint?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Guru
Message 4 of 10

Go to solution
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 5 of 10

Go to solution
Well that's another company BT mobile to stay well clear from (as well as Vodafone) who also have no data cap which catches people out all the time.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 10

Go to solution

You can set a cap on spend on data starting at £5 just @ninjafairy1 did not set any

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 10

Go to solution

May be it's just me but I fail to see why anybody would think that it is up to BT to pick up the bill on mobile data when a fault develops on your broadband or why they should pick up the bill when you run up high data charges when you could have set your own data cap.

See link about setting data caps

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/49980/~/learn-about-bt-mobile-monthly-spend-caps

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 10

Go to solution

ninjafairy

I have read your other posts and note that you were tethering your phone and you said you have a new laptop. If the laptop is running Windows 10 you may find that it has peer to peer Windows updates activated. If it has this means that your laptop is helping Microsoft to distribute its Windows updates to the world. This would account for your "excessive" use of data.

Data usage counts both for downloads and uploads and if your laptop is set for peer to peer Windows updates it will be uploading the updates to the Internet all the while the laptop is switched on.

Have a look at this link.

http://www.howtogeek.com/224981/how-to-stop-windows-10-from-uploading-updates-to-other-pcs-over-the-...

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 10

Go to solution
Thank you for your responses and the links to the complaints pages.
I do have Windows 10 on the laptop and can only think that you are correct when you say it was working in the background as there was absolutely nothing else running. @gg30340, I will check out the link you posted.
I didn't expect BT to pick up the tab just for the fun of it, however BT Mobile and BT Internet are managed via the same account and therefore think they are most certainly linked and should bear some responsibility for the non-existent service on the internet.
I was never made aware of data caps and only found out after the fact which was totally useless.
I will be escalating the complaint specifically because of the manner in which I was spoken down to by the adviser, Stuart.
It was totally unnecessary and caused even more stress to my already stressed existence. The call was handled badly and Inwould have preferred it by mail or email. Even the text received prior to the call wouldn't allow a reply to go through to say it wasn't a good time.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Expert
Message 10 of 10

Go to solution
On my phone I've set a data usage limit so the handset will cut off all mobile data communications when it reaches a specific usage amount.

Yesterday I reached 1.9GB out of 2GB and promptly the data stopped so that any extra usage was impossible to make. Also got a text from BT advising on 80% usage.
0 Ratings