Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 11 of 61

Re: Configure Home Hub 5 as modem only?

Go to solution

I believe 1 option would be to plug the openreach reach modem into the NETGEAR DGND4000.

Since you said you had the Home Hub 5 i assume it was not a managed install so they have just provided you with a Home Hub 5 and not the white openreach modem. If this was the case i would replace the NETGEAR DGND4000 with a vdsl modem router. TP-LINK Archer VR900 or TP-LINK TD-W9980 N600.

Another option would be to purchase a openreach reach modem, i believe they are readily available on ebay.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 12 of 61

Go to solution
@baconnugget Open rech no longer provide a modem with BT Infinity any more as the hub 5 was developed to remove the need for the modem this also applies to other ISP's as well as BT
Highlighted
Message 13 of 61

Re: Configure Home Hub 5 as modem only? - IT WORKS!!!!

Go to solution

Absolute gem of an answer, works a treat, many thanks.

My Vigor 130 (latest f/w) kept dropping it's connection. Am using a carfully set up Netgear R7000 and a second one in AP mode, didn't want the hassle of setting up the Hub 5 with all the port forwarding and mac address filtering I had already done on the Netgear Kit.

The only thing I was a bit weary of, was having two firwalls running (Hub5 & R7000). In addition to milleniumaire's instructions I also, on the Hub5, disabled the firewall. Clicked no for, Allow incoming ping requests to the Hub’s public IP address. Disabled SIP ALG and UPnP.

I figured let the R7000 continue doing the protection and firewall stuff and become a sort of primary Access Point.

A quick check at the GRC.com SheildsUp site confirmed everything nicely stealthed, so i'm a happy bunny again!

Will get another VDSL2 modem and use this set up as a backup plan.

Again many thanks milleniumaire 🙂

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 14 of 61

Go to solution

Thanks for a good thread and sharing your solution Milleniumaire.

I implemented the same 'bridging' principle with a very cheap Zyxel modem and an ASUS router.  It works very well in most cases.

One comment is that if your router runs VPN services e.g. Open VPN server then the above method means the router has a private IP address on it's WAN port.  That's normally not an issue except if you want to connect a VPN client - which, in my epxerience, can't reach the VPN server as it's IP is a) private and b) on a different subnet to the bridging modem.

If I'm missing a trick plse share it; I spent ages like you only to discover 'VPN' to the router was a show-stopper.  I ended-up buying a more expensive Draytek modem which was great, simply plug-and-play and gave a WAN IP to the ASUS router so VPN worked too.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 15 of 61

Re: Configure Home Hub 5 as modem only? - IT WORKS!!!!

Go to solution

Thanks to Milleniumaire for doing the legwork on this elegant solution. The only thing I changed on the HH5 configuration was to make the subnet mask 255.255.254.0 - thus enabling me to administer it remotely, using my normal PC (192.168.0.2) via a wired connection to my Netgear D6300 router on the main network.

My router and modem are located high up on a wall in the garage so a bit of a pain to connect directly to the HH5 with a separate laptop.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 16 of 61

Re: Configure Home Hub 5 as modem only? - Can't make it work!?

Go to solution

Hi Steven or anyone else who can help!

I have the same setup ie BT Home Hub 5 and just purchased an ASUS RT AC3200.  When trying the set up as mentioned in your post and milleniumaire's I seem to have problems with no internet passing from Home Hub to Asus.  I can connect to the Asus OK and it even managed a firmware update  but for some reason won't let us access the internet!  Any ideas on potential errors I may have made?  If you have a note of your settings (perhaps a picture) I can check I haven't missed anything.  Many thanks, Hedingham

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 17 of 61

Go to solution

Why not just spend £20 on an Openreach modem from ebay and save yourself any hassle trying to get the HH5 to work as a modem only.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 18 of 61

Go to solution

Thanks for the advice - I hate wasting money if I can make something work that I already have.  Plus having spend £200 on the router just before christmas!......

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Expert
Message 19 of 61

Go to solution

If its a home hub 5 Type B I don't think it can be put in a modem only mode, after a quick search on here.  

The hh5 Type A looks like it can but you wouldn't really want the hh5a  as just a modem , if you want a stress free line connection :eek: 🙂

Happen to agree with gg30340 on the openreach modem option.

The openreach modems are alot more stable that the hub 5

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 20 of 61

Go to solution

@Hedingham wrote:

Thanks for the advice - I hate wasting money if I can make something work that I already have.  Plus having spend £200 on the router just before christmas!......

.... if that is the case why did you waste your money buying a router that did not have an integrated VDSL modem!