cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 31 of 61

Re: Configure Home Hub 5 as modem only? - IT WORKS!!!!

Go to solution

thanks

Dan

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 32 of 61

Go to solution

Just wanted to add that it also works on the new Smart Hub with Natgear D6200, I've missed having a Readyshare Dlna media server since going onto Fibre, I don't any more 'cos this procedure got it all back for me.

A huge thanks for posting it.

Del.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 33 of 61

Go to solution

Millenniumaire 

Thanks for your post. I'm considering the Netgear R7000 (Not D7000 as I would like to use DD-WRT) in my setup. As I understand it, I place  The BT HH5 upstream with the R7000 downstream of it.

In the setup like yours, what facility do we have to change the BT hardwired DNS for Google's own DNS?

Thanks. 

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 34 of 61

Go to solution

Sorry Ed,

I don't have the required knowledge to be able to answer your question.

I recently downgraded from Infinity 2 to Infinity 1 and was sent a new Smart Hub 6 ("a" I think).  I simply turned off the wifi on the new box and substituted it for the old HH5 and everything continued to work as it had before.

Obviously, I'm still not making use of any of the features of the Smart Hub, apart from the fibre modem, but from what I'm seeing on forums there are problems using the "Static IP" feature, which some people are reporting is not always working.

Seems like another reason to continue to use my trusted Netgear equipment as "it just works"!

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 35 of 61

Go to solution

@Ed_forum wrote:

Millenniumaire 

Thanks for your post. I'm considering the Netgear R7000 (Not D7000 as I would like to use DD-WRT) in my setup. As I understand it, I place  The BT HH5 upstream with the R7000 downstream of it.

In the setup like yours, what facility do we have to change the BT hardwired DNS for Google's own DNS?

Thanks. 

You would be much better off getting a proper modem from the well known auction site. If you use the hub as a pseudo modem, you won't be able to change the DNS servers as that will still be dealt with by the hub. Have you read the rest of the thread?

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Beginner
Message 36 of 61

Go to solution

So my question would be slightly different.  I am looking to keep the HH5 running DHCP and wireless, but have a gigabit connection to an outside office where I have a Linksys router WRT3200ACM (too far to run powerline adapters).  I want to set up a LAN-LAN connection between the HH5 and Linksys and set the wifi SSID the same across the house and office to match.  I have tried the Linksys details - http://www.linksys.com/ca/support-article?articleNum=132275, , however when connecting the gb connection to the LAN port I cannot get an internet connection on the Linksys.  I am assuming my IP settings on one or the other do not quite match, but cannot seem to decode what they should be.

HH5 is set at default settings and I have tried to alter the IP address range manually on the Linksys to match, along with switching off DHCP

HH5 192.168.1.254

Linksys 192.168.1.253

Default gateway 255.255.255.0

DHCP range 192.168.1.63 - 192.168.1 252

I wanted to have all the fixed IP at one end, so am happy to move the DHCP range wherever

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 37 of 61

Go to solution

@Diffster wrote:

So my question would be slightly different.  I am looking to keep the HH5 running DHCP and wireless, but have a gigabit connection to an outside office where I have a Linksys router WRT3200ACM (too far to run powerline adapters).  I want to set up a LAN-LAN connection between the HH5 and Linksys and set the wifi SSID the same across the house and office to match.  I have tried the Linksys details - http://www.linksys.com/ca/support-article?articleNum=132275, , however when connecting the gb connection to the LAN port I cannot get an internet connection on the Linksys.  I am assuming my IP settings on one or the other do not quite match, but cannot seem to decode what they should be.

HH5 is set at default settings and I have tried to alter the IP address range manually on the Linksys to match, along with switching off DHCP

HH5 192.168.1.254

Linksys 192.168.1.253

Subnet mask 255.255.255.0

Default gateway 255.255.255.0 192.168.1.254

DHCP range 192.168.1.63 - 192.168.1 252

I wanted to have all the fixed IP at one end, so am happy to move the DHCP range wherever

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Message 38 of 61

Go to solution
Turn off DHCP on the Linksys and connect the two routers with a cable on the LAN ports not the WAN ports.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Expert
Message 39 of 61

Re: Configure Home Hub 5 as modem only?

Go to solution

It's very unfortunate that this use of a HH5 was referred to as "modem only" when it's not --- the HH5 is simply being used as an upstream router-modem.  In this configuration it provides a NAT block of IP addresses on its LAN ports, which it would not be doing if it were operating as a modem-only CPE.

A separate home router is given a host address within the HH5's block and uses the HH5 as its upstream default router, while also providing a separate NAT block on its own switch for the downstream private home LAN, along with firewall, DHCP, wifi, and any other services that may be desired.  This is good network structuring, as it isolates ISP equipment from private home equipment.  (Although ISPs would like you to think differently, an ISP's CPE under TR-069 management should never be regarded as a trusted device.)

This is a reasonable workaround for BT home hubs that don't have an actual modem-only mode, but it is misinformation to call it "modem-only" and will only confuse non-technical readers.  (Modem-only would also avoid the double-NAT, which the upstream router-modem does not.)

As a separate issue, I think we should request from BT that all new home hubs should have modem-only mode built in as a required feature, just like most other ISP CPEs do.  This would ensure that BT equipment is not wasted but gets reconfigured as a modem when home systems expand, while also reducing user expenditure greatly since modem-less routers are much cheaper.  BT shouldn't be adding to the electronic waste problem when it can be reduced.

Highlighted
Beginner
Message 40 of 61

Go to solution

Thanks Licqourice - you spotted my typo.  Still doesn't work when I change the configs however, so I think something is buried in the Linksyst requirements that I haven't yet discovvered.

0 Ratings