cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 19

Configured Download throughput

A few months ago I noticed that my internet connection was dropping , also my download speed appeared to be considerably less than it had been over the previous 2 years.

I had a similar problem 2 years ago where after weeks and weeks of speaking to various people I was eventually given a contact number and that person within 12 hours got it sorted.

No disrespect meant to the call-centres but the biggest problem I have with bt is that you have got to move Heaven and Earth to get to speak to someone who actually listens to what you have to say.

Anyway back to my problem of 2 years hence , that very evening I recieved a call from an engineer from my local exchange who confirmed that he had done something on his end to increase my speed from 1000k - 3000k.

Still not fast enough for BT Vision ( which I would dearly like to get) but nevertheless acceptable for my current useage.

After his call I ran Hub Manager and confirmed a download speed of 3000k+.

No problems until some weeks ago. I checked with the Hub and the speed was now set at 1000k. My belief was that is was reasonable to assume that whatever had been done before had now been un-done. Now can I get anyone at Bt to acknowledge this? And when I put it as a question I can't even get an answer.I tell them that nothing has changed even the slightest on my end  but they won't listen.

To be honest I did not want all the aggrivation I had before. I even said (when I was told it would be sorted within 48hrs) that I would change isp's if nothing was resolved. Not surprisingly nothing has changed and it is only because some months ago I signed up with a new 12month telephone contract that I have not changed.

I wish I kept that number I had but if anyone can help me I'd be very grateful. I want a lot more but only need to get back what it is that worked fine for me for all those years.   

0 Ratings
18 REPLIES 18
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 19

Re: Configured Download throughput

Hi Welcome to the forums

If you post the full stats from your router
For homehub – type 192.168.1.254 into your browser
Navigate to ADSL Settings or use the A-Z at the top right of the home page and scroll down to ADSL Settings and click on it

Click on More Details and then post the full results.
also post the full results from http://speedtester.bt.com/
Have you tried connecting to the test socket at the rear of the master socket Test Socket.jpg

Have you tried the quiet line test? - dial 17070 option 2 - should hear nothing - best done with a corded phone. if cordless phone you may hear a 'dull hum' which is normal
also you could try the hints given by poster RogerB in this link they may help http://community.bt.com/t5/BB-in-Home/Poor-Broadband-speed/m-p/14217#M8397

Then someone here may be able to help and offer more advice.

This is a customer to customer self help forum the only BT presence here are the forum moderators
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question the

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 19

Hi Thanks for you're reply. Couldn't get the info you requested by entering the address , but got the following info from my hub.HTML below. The bt line test achieved 916kbps stating an acceptable rate for my line was 200-1000kbps. the quite line test came up silent. I unfortunately do not have a master socket. I'm convinced that BT have somehow capped my line at 1000kbps. And how's about this as a conspiracy theory. The demand for bandwidth is so great that BT cannot cope , The're taking bandwith wherever they can to support the larger users otherwise there would be an outcry. How else can 3000kbps reduce to 1000 when nothing has altered on my end? The whole question of broadband bandwidth has in my opinion become too much of a political issue , and it's always the man in the street that suffers.

Help

DSL Connection 
Link Information

Uptime:0 days, 0:25:22
Modulation:G.992.1 annex A
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]:288 / 1,152
Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [MB/MB]:1.68 / 8.09
A BT  brand
 Software version: 6.2.6.H Time: 02/01/2012 13:35
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 19

hi looking at your hub stats you are on a 1mb fixed speed service it will never be any faster then you are getting to get a faster speed than that you need to contact bt sales and ask for your line to be upgraded to an up to 8mb service
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 5 of 19

can you go back into the router and probably to advanced and you should be able to get the adsl stats

moduation

connection  time

speed

attenuation

noise nargein

erros  may have to show details

your connection speed suggest a fixed 1mb connection - is that possible?

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 19

Yes it is. If the circuit has been dropping the DLM can change the circuit however it feels. Sometimes dropping the upstream connection rate as well as the downstream. When these type of hard caps are applied the only way to have them removed is by having an SNR reset carried out on the circuit which the mods can sort. If however the problem that caused the dropping connection in the first place hasn't been identified and removed it is possible that the same will happen again in time.
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 7 of 19

webby the connection suggests a 1mb fixed connection nothing it this case to do with DLM it is not a hard cap it looks like a very old line setting to original adsl max
DLM wil not reduce a users up and down loads to those levels sorry
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 19

I agree it shows as a 1meg fixed rate product but this can be imposed by DLM. I've seen it before. If the engineer has said that he'd done something to get his speed from 1meg to 3 then I'd expect that to be an SNR reset. Which would remove any caps or banding (depending if a circuit is 21CN) that had been applied to the line.

DLM can apply a profile to a 20CN line called ADSLMAX IPSTREAM (fixed1000) for circuits that perform very irratically. Occasionally SNR resets don't remove this and it has to be sent to BT Wholesale for the circuit to be reset.

Pleck I've send you a PM.

If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 19

A SNR reset will not reset affixed speed line the only answer to this is to have the line regrading of the line to adslmax from a fixed service this posters problem need intervention by the forum mods to get the line regraded this is a link to the mods http://bt.custhelp.com/app/contact_email/c/4951 they will reply to you by email or phone they will be able to resolve this problem

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Aspiring Contributor
Message 10 of 19

I have been reliably informed that my line is capped at 1mb wheras I used to be on asdl max. I was told that if I were to tell the Mods this ,then they would know what to do to sort it out.

I do recall that when I originally joined bt. My line couldn't hold the 8mb available at the time ( kept dropping the connection)

I had to eventually settle for a stable connection at 3mb. Which was fine.

0 Ratings