Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Peterxrm
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 11

Confirm Ports are open?

Go to solution

BT SmartHub-port forwarding. After completing the BT instructions for opening further ports for an application that works on other sytems (Echolink- a radio users programme), how does one confim that these ports are open? The existing open BT ports show a green icon in addition to their red off icon. I have attempted to ask BT,however they do not support port forwarding enquires.

Peterxrm

0 Ratings
10 REPLIES 10
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 11

Re: Confirm Ports are open?

Go to solution

@Peterxrm wrote:

BT SmartHub-port forwarding. After completing the BT instructions for opening further ports for an application that works on other sytems (Echolink- a radio users programme), how does one confim that these ports are open? The existing open BT ports show a green icon in addition to their red off icon. I have attempted to ask BT,however they do not support port forwarding enquires.

Peterxrm

Use a website like http://canyouseeme.org/

If you are manually forwarding ports you need to make sure that UPnP is turned OFF on the home hub, to avoid any conflicts.

0 Ratings
Peterxrm
Aspiring Contributor
Message 3 of 11

Go to solution

Thanks for the fast response. However it still shows them closed. I also have turned off the Extended UPnP setting. I aslo assigned them to this device as it asks which device  to set them to. Any further help appreciated. Its ports 5198-5199 UDP and 5200 TCP.

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 4 of 11

Go to solution

Not sure what you are doing wrond, but I remote manage a HH6, and have no dificullty in configuring port forwarding, in fact its the easiest of all the home hubs.

Its not easy to chech UDP ports, unless you use a different testing website, but TCP should present no problem.

Remember that the application that you have opened ports to, must be running before the port will show as open.

Also its best to have the application running on a device whose IP address is static, and configured on the device itself, and is outside of the home hub DHCP range.

Here is an example of a complete working port forwarding screen.

final_mapping.jpg

What does your completed page look like?

0 Ratings
Peterxrm
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 11

Go to solution

Thanks for the response. Yes my page does look like yours. However I have other pr-installed BT ports for what ever they are for ,but their ports under the UpNP column the BT ports have a green icon of a tic, indicating they are working. So this seems to be telling me my ports are not open or have been fully installed.

Peter

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 11

Go to solution

What is shown against the device that you have configured port forwarding, can you show a screenshot?

Here is how to post pictures.

https://community.bt.com/t5/help/faqpage/faq-category-id/images#images

If you are seeing UPnP port mapping, the you must have UPnP enabled on the home hub. This can cause conflicts with your own applications.

0 Ratings
Peterxrm
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 11

Go to solution

@Keith_Beddoe wrote:

What is shown against the device that you have configured port forwarding, can you show a screenshot?

Here is how to post pictures.

https://community.bt.com/t5/help/faqpage/faq-category-id/images#images

If you are seeing UPnP port mapping, the you must have UPnP enabled on the home hub. This can cause conflicts with your own applications.

Screenshot 2017-05-01 15.07.25.pngThis is what I show

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 8 of 11

Go to solution

That is a lot of automatically mapped ports.

I cannot see any obvious issue, but is Echolink actually running, and is it allowed through the PCs firewall? What operating system is Pete-PC running?

0 Ratings
Peterxrm
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 11

Go to solution

thanks for a fast response. The hub is at the start of a home network which allows my macs and pc's plus radio www connections. The lack of the green icons was the confusion part. So without these green icons the ports are open then? Any idea why others use the green icons? The pc is running but not the software at this time.

Peter

0 Ratings
Keith_Beddoe
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 11

Go to solution

It is confusing. The green ticks are simply ports that have been automatically opened by an application which uses UPnP. The red crosses will disconnect or remove any port mappings.

I would normally advise turning off UPnP, unless you exactly what application is automatically opening those ports.

In your case, your manually assigned Echolink port mapping is active, but will not show as open unless the software is running, and is allowed past the computer firewall.

0 Ratings