Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rhyds
Expert
Message 1 of 9

Confirmation of Demarcation Point

Simple question really:

If you have a phone line entering via a window frame or similar, to a BT junction box and then to an NTE5 or the older 1-piece master socket, where does your responsibility end and BT/Openreach's begin?

The reason I ask is that in the (dim and distant) past my parents have been charged for work between their window frame and the NTE5 (including the junction box) when a fault developed. Now a Colleague is in a similar position and I wanted to confirm the situation.

0 Ratings
8 REPLIES 8
imjolly
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 2 of 9

Re: Confirmation of Demarcation Point

openreach responsibility right to conenction to master socket but you will get charged if nothing wrong with wiring to master socket and you have requested a callout

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Devon_Dave
Distinguished Guru
Message 3 of 9

@imjolly wrote:

openreach responsibility right to conenction to master socket but you will get charged if nothing wrong with wiring to master socket and you have requested a callout

Or if the cable is damaged and it needs replacing or if the junction box (block terminal) is damaged. BT will also class "damage" if the block terminal gets damp.

(If I have helped you in any way please click the thumbs up. Thank You)
If I have solved your Issue please click the "Mark as accepted solution" button.
0 Ratings
rhyds
Expert
Message 4 of 9

Thanks for the clarification.

0 Ratings
davide44
Beginner
Message 5 of 9

Since this question was raised BT seems to be issuing some conflicting information. Here BT refer to a charge being made if the fault is within the boundary of our premises http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/12439/~/engineer-charges which implies the demarcation point is the boundary. but in the BT Code of Practice for residential customers BT states that that "our network ends at the demarcation point" which is either or Network Terminating Equipment (NTE5) inside your premises; or an External Network Terminating Equipment (XNTE) outside your premises.

If the fault is in the wiring within the boundary of the end customer's premises but before the NTE5 or XNTE, will a charge be made?

0 Ratings
pottyperson
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 6 of 9

@davide44 wrote:

If the fault is in the wiring within the boundary of the end customer's premises but before the NTE5 or XNTE, will a charge be made?

Welcome to the forum. The important word in the introductory paragraph of your link is "may". In other words, you will not be charged as a customer for an issue located outside your premises but might if it's within your boundary.

The whole thing could be drafted better, but the list of potential issues boils down to a charge (a) for issues between the boundary and the master socket if it results from an act or omission on your part and (b) for issues on your side of the master socket always.

So the answer to your specific question is, "If you caused or could have prevented damage, yes."

(Incidentally, the fifth bullet point in the link needs attention. A Hub is only in warranty during the minimum period of a contract following supply of the Hub; after that it's the customer's responsibility. Given that you have to be in contract to receive a service, the bullet point is nonsense as it stands. I'm asking the forum moderators if they can pass this on.)

--
You can click the thumbs up icon below this message if you think it was helpful.
davide44
Beginner
Message 7 of 9

Thank you, that clarification is most helpful but shouldn't this be included in documentation BT presented to the customer?

Can the openreach engineer report a fault without presenting the customer with any evidence of where it is and the nature of the damage or is the engineer required to obtain agreement from the customer if they caused or could have prevented damage?

0 Ratings
pottyperson
Distinguished Guru
Distinguished Guru
Message 8 of 9

I can't speak from personal experience because none of the few faults I've had over several decades has resulted in a charge. The process does seem to be quite arbitrary though; hopefully, something will emerge from recent promises that Openreach will be trying to get its act together.

--
You can click the thumbs up icon below this message if you think it was helpful.
0 Ratings
davide44
Beginner
Message 9 of 9

I ask the question because a recent call out ended with my incurrring a charge which implied there was a fault on my equipment/wiring but the engineer didn't tell me or show me the fault before he departed. In challenging the charge, BT stated the fault was found within the end customer’s premises shown by a damaged socket/wiring but the engineer's report didn't describe the nature of the fault or describe the action taken to remove the fault.

So it seems to me that the engineer could report that a fault was found with the customer's equipment/wiring when it was actually found in the network and there is nothing the customer can do about it because unlike other utility companies, Openreach don't require their engineers to get confirmation from the customer as to the findings before they depart. I've mentioned this to BT without getting any recognition that their practices are unprofessioinal.