cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Dave_C
Contributor
Message 1 of 8

Confused about software update and noddy questions.

Go to solution

I have just got Infinity option1 (whopee! - it's fast) and a brand new shiny Youview box.

Well pleased with both.

Software

The software in it was updated at set-up and is 8.7.0 and I cannot update any further - is this the latest? 

The reason I ask is that I cannot use the Yellow button to edit the channels (The yellow button works as I can lock a recording). Also If I press TV on the remote there is no warnng.

Both of these are features that are in the October software update - I think I'm behind on this.

What is the latest BT version - it's hard to find out!

Noddy 2-part question

Scrollback / catch up tv is done from the youview menu and is included in my youview essential package

But anything I access through the BT button on the menu will cost me extra. TV on demand and movies.

Can you confirm please

Other niggles

Are already in forum posts, in particular broadband usage monitor and aspect ratios

Dave

0 Ratings
7 REPLIES 7
MEM
Contributor
Message 2 of 8

Re: Confused about software update and noddy questions.

Go to solution

Yes the latest version of the software is 8.7.0. At least that is what my YouView box is showing since the update on 4th December. 

Not sure about the yellow button functionality.

BT don't actually control the YouView boxes firmware. This is done directly from YouView. As far as I know the only software that BT have control over is their own Visions service software.

All catchup TV and the scrollback stuff is all part of the Vision Essentials package. Not sure why as it is a standard feature of the YouView service! With the essentials pack you don't pay any more for the downloads for YouView.

Anything accessed through the on demand services (NowTV, BTVision, etc) is priced as you see it on the screen, unless you subscribe to those services.

Hope that helps Smiley Happy

0 Ratings
Dave_C
Contributor
Message 3 of 8

Go to solution

Thanks for confirming about scroll-back being part of the package.  AFter much playing with the Youview box there isn't any other way of doing it!

According to this post by StephanieG the new software that was to be rolled out in November included the following features:

• Series recordings grouped together and other improvements to MyView
  • Ability to hide channels in the guide;
  • Text in the guide made easier to read;
  • On screen warning message when the “TV” button is accidently pressed on the Humax remote control;
  • Slightly faster start-up times (both from High and Low Eco-modes);
  • Dolby surround sound enabled for the Humax box
  • Other minor improvements and bug fixes

The ones in bold are the only ones I can test and I definitely haven't got them.  One of the later features being complained about on the forums was the removal of the confirm dialogue box when deleting recordings.  Mine definitely has the confirmation.

So can somebody please tell me what the latest software is supposed to be?

Am I going to get upgraded?  manual upgrade thinks I'm on the latest software

Not the end of the world, but it would be nice to have an answer.

Dave

0 Ratings
drhowells
Recognised Expert
Message 4 of 8

Go to solution
The simplest test is when you press the Del button on the remote to delete a program (obviously only do this on a program you really DO want to delete), do you get a warning message or does it just delete the program?

If it just deletes the program with no warning, you are on the latest version.
0 Ratings
Dave_C
Contributor
Message 5 of 8

Re: Software update

Go to solution

OK, I'm no longer confused,

I'm convinced that I don't have the latest software because  of the reasons stated in my previous posts (can't hide channels, no on-screen warning if I press TV and I have confirmation of recording delete)

According to the youview box the software is:

• Manufacturere software 8.7.0
  • Component software 1.0.10
  • Platform Config 257
  • ISP Configuration 27

Can somebody (preferavbly a moderator) please shed some light on this.

Has anyone on BT youview got any more up-to date software? If so please post the version numbers.

dave

0 Ratings
drhowells
Recognised Expert
Message 6 of 8

Go to solution
The latest Component Software version number should be 1.1.11. It does seem like you are not on the latest version.

Just to check some basics...... Is the box plugged into the Internet and is your internet connection OK and working?

What was / when was your activation date for the BT Vision / YouView?

When you press the Blue YouView button on the remote, go to Settings, go to Device Management, select Software Update and select Get Update, what happens?
0 Ratings
Dave_C
Contributor
Message 7 of 8

Go to solution

@ drhowells, Thanks for your prompt reply,

The Youview box is plugged into the internet (Infinity) via ethernet cable to Home Hub 3. 

Works just fine watching HD on catch-up TV.

Everything installed and youview activation date 17/12/2011 confirmation email 18/12

When I switched on the youview box, it scanned the channels and updated the software.

When I try to manually update software (blue button etc.) it says that I am already up to date or words to that effect and it won't go any further.

As far as I can see, there is no option to force a software update. 

As I said before it's not the end of the world and the box is working fine.  If I have to wait until the next update then it's no big deal.

Dave

0 Ratings
Dave_C
Contributor
Message 8 of 8

Go to solution

Success!  Problem solved

After sleeping on the problem of "there must be a way to force an update", I reset the youview box to factory settings

As part of the reset process it downloaded the latest software, including component 1.11.1

Bit of a long wait while it scanned channels and so forth but it worked.

Now have an edit channels function, which shows as a hint on the guide and a warning if I try to use the remote in TV mode. I  Haven't tried the others.

Dave

0 Ratings