Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JakeSanchard
Aspiring Contributor
Message 1 of 11

Confused and a little worried

Go to solution

I ordered BT Infinity 2 with Unlimited Evening and Weekend Calls for my new apartment on the 18th of July.

My date of activation was supposed to be 16th August but nothing happened.

I was phoned up on the 13th by BT and they said that the engineer couldn't install the phone line and Inifnity line on the same day. Fair enough, I'll clear my room ready for the engineer visit to install the new phone line.

Trouble is, nobody turned up so I still have an old wall plate with no cables attached to it. I got no phone calls from BT on the day of my activation, nobody came to the door and nobody left any letters. I still haven't heard from BT about the missing engineer. I hope he's OK, maybe he got lost...

Anyway, I'm sitting here with my new BT Home Hub 3 Black and BT Infinity Home Hub 3.0 Welcome Pack with no phone line and no internet and all of my belongings cramped up against the far wall so if the engineer randomly reappears then there won't be any delay in laying down the new cables.

How long will it be before it's too late to cancel my order? I haven't actually received any sort of service from BT. I tried ringing them but nobody understood what I was saying. I find it ironic that BT (which stands for BRITISH TELECOM) have outsourced their call centre staff to the far east. I'm not mad or anything, I've just got this weird feeling that BT are doing the exact same thing that 'fake' scamming companies do; trick you into offering you a decent service, take your money and then vanish without a trace.

Can anyone here help me?

0 Ratings
10 REPLIES 10
biffo1963
Aspiring Expert
Message 2 of 11

Re: Confused and a little worried

Go to solution

Since nothing has actually happened yet you're still in the"ordered" stage, so try ringing the Sales people on the number that appears on the letter(s) confiming your order, and ask them wtf is going on.  They'll be able to understand you even if they can't help directly.

I don't think your cancellation period starts until the service is actually activated, but if I haven't got that entirely right I'm sure someone will soon be along to correct me.

Nige32
Aspiring Expert
Message 3 of 11

Go to solution

Hi

As far as I am aware you can cancel before the service starts and there should be no fee.  

If you cancel after your service has started then you would be subject to a cancellation fee.

Bullitt
Distinguished Expert
Message 4 of 11

Go to solution

ring bt and insist they get the engineer out today

0 Ratings
JakeSanchard
Aspiring Contributor
Message 5 of 11

Go to solution

I rang on Saturday asking what the current situation was and they said they have a team working on it and that they will ring me on Monday with an ETA on the installer visit.

I will tell them politely that if I don't have a service by this Friday then I'm going to cancel and move to a different provider. I've already been given a bill for line rental and hub delivery but I'm going to keep the line and only cancel the Infinity and switch to TalkTalk instead.

I'll update tomorrow, if you're interested?

0 Ratings
john46
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 11

Go to solution
ok please post back
0 Ratings
RichRolls
Aspiring Expert
Message 7 of 11

Go to solution

I would get the mods involved.  You can contact them on:

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/contact_email/c/4951

Rich

If you found this information helpful, please click the star to the left of this post. If the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
JakeSanchard
Aspiring Contributor
Message 8 of 11

Go to solution

Well they rang me saying that they haven't confirmed an order with OpenReach yet. If I have to wait ANOTHER month for an installer then I've had it...

They said they'd ring either later today or tomorrow with a confirmed date for the installer visit. I've been without an internet connection for a very long time now. I hope I can get it before Friday.

A weird thing was that when they rang, they said my order was for BT Broadband and I had to correct them saying it was for Inifinity. Probably means nothing but that little slip got me a little more concerned.

I'll update again when they ring.

0 Ratings
JakeSanchard
Aspiring Contributor
Message 9 of 11

Go to solution

Thanks RichRolls. I'd already contacted the mods and they got back to me today.

They confimred what I'd already been told, which was that I am scheduled for another installer visit this Wednesday which is fantastic! I was originally booked for the 9th of September so I thought I'd try asking for an earlier appointment, instead of just cancelling. The lovely woman at BT said she would put in 3 requests for an earlier appointment, Wednesday AM and PM, and Thursday AM. They got back to me later on and said I got the Wednesday PM slot.

Hopefully, the installation goes smoothly and I'll be up and running again (finally) at some point on Thursday!

A few tips for anyone wanting an earlier appointment:

1. It is not BT's responsiblity for the date of your appointment although they do have a little bit of influence.

2. OpenReach serve nearly all ISPs so trying cancel and switching may not mean you get an earlier appointment

3. It never hurts to ask. BT can request 3 time slots for an OpenReach Installer to come round to your house. They will sometimes respond and confirm one of those 3 slots. If they can't then the worst case scenario is that you will still have your original appointment.

4. Obviously, only pick slots where you can be sure you're in and prepared for an installation.

5. Don't expect miracles! I got lucky, you might not.

john46
Distinguished Sage
Message 10 of 11

Go to solution
@ JakeSanchard a good practical post well done
0 Ratings