Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
user-alan
Beginner
Message 1 of 22

Confused as to wether or not BT Infinity is available to me

I live in the Thornaby area of the North East, my exchange is in Ingelby Barwick, apparently the exchange has BT Infinity installed but when I check my phone number it says that BT Infinity is not available on my line,
My postcode is TS17 9BP, the area I live in is a new housing estate, I have looked for the Infinity Cabinets round about me and can't see them anywhere, just the normal cabinets and a larger one near the main road, I spoke to someone from BT over the online chat from the BT site, then followed by a phone call to me saying that they checked my line and it's just been confirmed that I should be able to get BT infinity from 30th June 2012, is this true as I haven't spotted the relevant cabinets nearby??

Thanks in advance,
0 Ratings
21 REPLIES 21
Message 2 of 22

Re: Confused as to wether or not BT Infinity is available to me

Not all cabinets on an exchange get upgraded and new build are frequently not done maybe because they are uneconomic.  If the chat operator has checked then they have access to up to date info. I and others on the forum can only access "leaked" info the most recent was early December and does not show your postcode as planned but we are nearly 2 months on now. 

If you are going to get Infinity a couple of months before new "fibre" cabinets will start to be installed close to each existing cabinet keep an eye out for Openreach trucks etc. BT are coming back to many areas to do more cabinets so it looks hopeful.

0 Ratings
user-alan
Beginner
Message 3 of 22

The build of the estate was complete around 2006/07, and every property on the estate is settled so I would imagine all my neighbours are waiting for infinity also, doesn't that count as economical?
0 Ratings
Message 4 of 22

Cabinets contain room for hundreds of lines in my area it took 10 years to fill ours as new estates were developed in the area so your estate alone may not be enough. In any case BT never talk about how they choose which cabinets to do so we are just speculating.

0 Ratings
Distinguished Guru
Message 5 of 22

@user-alan wrote:
The build of the estate was complete around 2006/07, and every property on the estate is settled so I would imagine all my neighbours are waiting for infinity also, doesn't that count as economical?

Hi ,

Get all your neighbours and local businesses to register their interest for Infinity. Pester your Local Councillors and MP's to put pressure on BT to include it in a future round of upgrades.

toekneem

(EASBF)

0 Ratings
user-alan
Beginner
Message 6 of 22

There is a solution to the problem of BT getting the country on fibre optic, there is mass unemployment in this country right? Well, there's the answer, train/employ people as engineers and get them out there in the truck loads feeding fibre optic broadband down every nut and cranny in the country, it will get things done much much quicker..
0 Ratings
lewis-brooks
Aspiring Contributor
Message 7 of 22

And what about the cost to BT for training and paying the employees?
0 Ratings
user-alan
Beginner
Message 8 of 22

I'm actually prepared to pay any additional costs needed to get me on infinity, whether it be a new line being layed to go a direct route to where the new cabinet will/should be
0 Ratings
Distinguished Sage
Message 9 of 22

You do realise that can be 10's of thousands of pounds?
If you want to say thanks for a helpful answer,please click on the Ratings star on the left-hand side If the the reply answers your question then please mark as ’Mark as Accepted Solution’
0 Ratings
user-alan
Beginner
Message 10 of 22

What, for a new line to be added?
Sorry if I seem negative and urgent to get infinity, it's cos for years I've had (and many others) to put up with speeds of between 1 & if lucky, 3Mbps, its 2012 not the 1990's
0 Ratings