cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mthird3rd
Message 1 of 4

Confused by increase in Monthly Direct Debits

Hi all.

Being a newbie, I'm sure this topic must have been raised in the past.

As a new BT customer, I was paying Monthly Direct Debits of £23.50 to cover my contract for Unlimited Evening and Weekend Plan plus BT Total Broadband Option 1.

After 6 months, I have just received a bill advising me that my Direct Debits would increase to £38.00 per month (a rise of 62%!).

Having been unable to get through to an advisor on the phone, I thought I'd do a little research on the web.  I found the BT Help topic "Why has my Monthly Payment Plan amount changed?", which lays out the way the bill is calculated:

Monthly Rental Charges + Last quarter usage divided by 3 + Outstanding charges divided by 6 = Monthly Payment.

In my case, this would be: £23.43 + £3.51/3 + £5.44/6 = £25.51 per month.

Therefore, I'm a little confused, not to mention rather annoyed that my Direct Debits have been increased to £38.00pm, when £26.00pm would seem more reasonable!

Any help would be appreciated.

Martin

0 Ratings
3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4

Re: Confused by increase in Monthly Direct Debits

Hi Mthird3rd,

Thanks for posting. I can check what's going on for you. Drop me an email to the address in my profile. Include a your account details and a link to this thread and we'll take it from there.

Cheers

David

Community ModeratorDaveM
Did you get the help you needed?
Help others by clicking on ‘Mark as accepted solution’
Show your appreciation!
Click on the star next to a reply to say thanks
Help guide to using the community? Click below
Kudos”
Please avoid contacting us (moderators) via private message, for account/fault issues, unless invited to do so. The community will be able to help answer your question so we encourage you to create a new thread if you can’t find the answer from existing discussions. The moderators will be around to lend a hand should the community not have the answers. Thank You
0 Ratings
evenpete
Message 3 of 4

Hi Martin,

Having the same kind of problem with BT...you are not alone!

I  signed up to BT Vision back in October10 where the nice salesman told me for the package i was having (phone, broadband and tv) I would be paying £51 a month based on my previous phone usage (this figure was worked out for 3 months in advance). After a few initial teething problems all went well until after 3 months BT then tell me my payments were jumping to £88.50 a month without any explanation (my phone usage had not changed in any way during this time). Another 3 months pass, where in the meantime I had paid BT a total of £265.50 but my bill says I only owed them £151.51 so I was in credit by £113.99. BT still wanted to carry on charging me £88.50 even though that was way over what I should be paying. After cancelling the direct debit ( which was an arduous process over the phone talking with their overseas billing department) I have now received a bill for £50+ .....where has my £113.99 credit disappeared?....wits end?....tearing my hair out?....pulling teeth?...all could be used to describe the BT billing experience. The scary thing is BT would of quite happily carried on taking £88.50 out of my account every month and not done a thing.....but if i wasn't paying enough they would be quick to up my payments. Also they are sitting on my £113....along with doubtless other customers overpayments and getting a nice little bit of interest off it. Unfortunately I am tied into an 18 month contract with them and whilst I cant fault the services they provide (although my broadband usage goes near my 40 GB limit which astounds me because we only use the internet for the usual things e mails you tube etc. but thas another forum issue!) i would quite happily just get a freesat box and another internet provider because it seems BT just dont care!

rant over  ...well at least till i try to ring BT later!

Pete

0 Ratings
mthird3rd
Message 4 of 4

That all sounds like a pretty confusing situation, Pete.  I hope you get it sorted out.

For me, a pleasant lady at BT called a day or two after I registered my problem, which I was impressed with.   I had read a lot of threads where calls were promised but never happened.

I was advised that if I cleared my oustanding balance, which was basically the advance charges, I would only have to pay £25.00 per month direct debit (a rise of only £1.50, instead of £15.00).  I haven't had any problems since.  I think the advance charges are what causes a lot of confusion.

By managing my account on-line, if my bill shows me in Debit, which may result in my monthly Direct Debits rising, I have the option of making a one-off payment to clear the balance and maintain my Direct Debits at their current rate.  So, for now I'm quite happy with the BT service, once more!

I don't know if that will help you with your case, but good luck and I hope you get it sorted soon.

Martin

0 Ratings