Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Expert
Message 1 of 7

Confused by the bellwire instructions

Hi

Infinity installation is scheduled for 29 Dec after one false start. I'm currently with Sky (unlimited) and replaced master socket and extensions with ADSL ones a few years ago. Also used their pro plus wire to connect main socket to extension in bedroom which is where modem is plugged in.

Gist is that I get about 3.5-4Mb which aint bad bearing in mind line attentuation etc. I'm sure I was advised by ADSL and Sky user forum to disconnect bell wire and did this. However, the link to the background info here says that the bell wire should not be remobed from an ADSL socket as this means that the modem can't be plugged into extensions. Presumably this doen't apply when the extensions have the filter with unfiltered ADSL and filter for phone.

Just a bit confused.

Many tthanks

L

0 Ratings
6 REPLIES 6
Highlighted
Recognised Expert
Message 2 of 7

Re: Confused by the bellwire instructions

Have a read here - I have all the bell wires removed and operate my hub off an extension. Besides you infinity modem is fitted to the master socket using a new faceplate.

http://www.jarviser.co.uk/jarviser/bellwirenutshell.html
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 3 of 7

I am confused as well by your post.

if you have fitted a filtered faceplate to your master socket (2 outlets, 1 phone, 1 router) then that normally means that your router will only work on the filtered faceplate and will not work at any extension.  Nothing to do with the bellwire.

There are filtered faceplates available now that have 2 extra terminals which allow you to connect an extension which will work like a standard phone line and enable yoi to connect a router.  These are fairly new and I don't think are fitted by BT

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Contributor
Message 4 of 7

I'm also confused by your post... if you are getting Infinity fitted, the BT engineer will replace your master socket and run a new cat5 extension cable to where your computer is if you want it fitted in another room

your existing extension socket won't work for Infinity so it doesn't matter if you have the bell wire connected or not

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Expert
Message 5 of 7

Thanks for reponses. I think I'm clearer but still a tad confused. I fitted ADSL nation faceplate and replaced BT one. It has separate ADSL and phone sockets as suggested and the phone one is linked to a phone in the hall. I have used ADSL Cat 5E (Pro Plus) to connect the main ADSL faceplate to another extension socket (ADSL) which has separate modem and phone sockets. The Sky router is plugged into the modem and another phone in the bedroom is connected to the phone socket.

Is this set up impossible or am I OK as I have separate modem and phone sockets on the bedroom extension? I do know that I have a split master socket and yet I can still plug the modem into the extension socket upstairs.

I also recall that when I replaced the BT faceplate with the ADSL nation equivalent I had to disconnect all the wires and not just the bellwire. It's a long time ago but I know the new face plate had to the 2 to 5 connections for the phone and A and B for the ADSL. I just conencted a the blue and blue and white in the Cat 5E to A and B respectively (or the other way around!!).

I will provide piccies if that helps.

I also recall being told not to worry about using a filter downstairs as I was already running the phone from a filtered socket on the ADSL face plate.

I'm not saying this set is perfect. I seem to get a lot of background noise even though my router stats always reflect NM of 7 down and 13 up.

I guess the BT Engineer will comment on the appropriateness of the wiring.

0 Ratings
Highlighted
Distinguished Sage
Distinguished Sage
Message 6 of 7

the filtered faceplate socket with terminals A & B in addition to 2 & 5 does enable you to connect an extension to A & B and this will function like a normal phone extension.  You can connect a router to this particular socket via a filter. 

Any extension connected to terminals 2 & 5 will not work with your router

If you like a post, or want to say thanks for a helpful answer, please click on the Ratings 'Thumbs up' on left hand side.
If someone answers your question correctly please let other members know by clicking on ’Mark as Accepted Solution’.
0 Ratings
Highlighted
Expert
Message 7 of 7

Thanks God for that. Thought it was a figment of my imagination.

0 Ratings